Whats this phone missing?

This is a discussion on Whats this phone missing? within the Sony Xperia Play forums, part of the Sony Android Phones category; I have been making a list in my head. These are some of the things I would have liked to see in the PLAY. 1. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats this phone missing?

Whats this phone missing?

I have been making a list in my head. These are some of the things I would have liked to see in the PLAY.

1. Trophy Support
    2. Access to the PSN (perhaps #1 is included here.)
    3. HD camera with a zoom
    4. PS3 connectivity (again maybe included with #2)
    5. Better FB integration

To me this is just a regular phone with a controller that happens to use the PlayStation button configuration. Nothing else seems to be PlayStation related.

I do like the phone and its WAY better than the Storm II that I upgraded from. Just feel that "PSN certified" doesnt really mean a thing. Other than the controller what PSN services does this phone have that any other android does not? Most games are compatible with all the other current androids.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

For points 1 & 2, I believe Sony already announced that its in the works, I will have to hunt down the article again for it. For point 3, its a phone, if I need to take HD quality pics, I use my DSLR camera. Point 4, same as point 1 & 2, its coming. As far as better FB integration, Thats how it is on AOSP. So manufacturers have done a better job with it but only because they added it into their rom. There are different apps in the market that will improve this. As far as your point about the only Playstation thing in this phone is the controller, dont we have Playstation games available to us that other android phones do not? What I think it comes down to is that this phone is still new, and SE may have released it before everything they intended for it was ready. But give it time it will get there.

Me personally I think more internal memory and better screen is what is missing from this phone.

Sorry if my response seems harsh or mean in any way, it is truly not my intention.

well I am not always in a position to take along a seperate device for every need considering that my pack already weighs in at 65 lbs and HD video should have been included. Which brings me to another point, the GPS SUCKS on this phone. I was deep in the woods last weekend in Ohio and the phone GPS had me in the south pole. Even when we were in a clearing it could not reliably track me. Fortunatly I do not consider my phone to be a survival tool and brought my Garmin Oregon 450t to keep track of me. The PS game you may be referring are games that I have already on more than one format and they are slim pickings at best. The comment referring to thats how it is with facebook holds no water. These phones are advertised to be all inclusive social networking devices. They should be made that way. I also believe that we should not have to wait for features to be added as most of the time those promised features never materialize. You still have not convinced me in any way that this is a PlayStation phone other than in name.

Please provide more info in PSN integration as I have not been able to find any reliable sources.

Well first thing I will point you to is the app itself, Playstaion pocket, an app exclusively on Xperia Play, used to publish PSOne titles on the phone. Granted there are not many choices, but they will come. See engadget review, Sony Ericsson Xperia Play review -- Engadget .

As for crappy GPS, its a common plague among android devises. There is a fix for it, but you need root to modify the file. Without root there are apps in the market, like GPS boost, to fix the problem.

As far as social media, I dont twitter or facebook so I have no need for this. But from what I have seen on my wifes android phone, her facebook seems to be ok. What specifically are you looking for in facebook intergration?

And what feature were you promised that you didnt get?

In my opinion all the phone really needed was the controller to begin with. If that's the only thing playstation about this phone then that's the only thing playstation this phone needs. But there are things you don't see. The camera is of Sony quality, very good. It's only 5MP but it's better than most of the 8MP camera phones out there. The battery life is the best out of any phone which is important to a gamer; another thing Sony has done. Yes there are Playstation games that are only on this phone.

Also, if you really want Facebook integration, it's coming in the next update. Let me find the video for you...here you go: http://www.xperiaforums.net/forum/xp...-3-3-soon.html

I personally do not consider this phone a "PlayStation Phone" - It's called the PLAY after all, not PlayStation Phone. I see it as a phone with added controls for gaming. I see the "PlayStation Certified" tag to mean that the control scheme and other minimum hardware and software specs are met to provide some sort of unified expectations for developers.

But then again, the controller is the main reason I got the phone, so whether or not it gets PSN integration in the end or even if Sony decides to not release that many games, I'll still be satisfied as long as I can also play Android specific games with the controls.

As far as what's missing? Maybe L2 and R2 buttons, and if there would be any way to get real physical analog sticks I would pay full off-contract price for the thing. More internal storage so I don't have to keep deleting apps (many won't install to SD ), maybe a slimmer profile, and a sturdier feeling casing would be nice. I loved the metal and rubber back of my OG Droid.

If they could offer some PS3 connectivity to use the PLAY as a controller (like the Wii-U) that would be AWESOME.

Yeah, I thought about the L2 and R2......maybe they could have given use half buttons length wise instead of stacking them??

I really have to say coming from the OG Droid, the two biggest things for me are:

1. I really dislike the physical Android buttons- not only are they not back lite BUT them seem to get stuck against one another. At least that is the way it feels when trying to push them in total darkness. If anything they should have spaced them out a little bit.

2. The internal memory is another really big disappointment for me. I did know this one going in BUT I still do not understand why they couldn't have given us at lest 1 or 2GB. That really would have made a HUGE difference for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kamileon View Post
    Well first thing I will point you to is the app itself, Playstaion pocket, an app exclusively on Xperia Play, used to publish PSOne titles on the phone. Granted there are not many choices, but they will come. See engadget review, Sony Ericsson Xperia Play review -- Engadget .

As for crappy GPS, its a common plague among android devises. There is a fix for it, but you need root to modify the file. Without root there are apps in the market, like GPS boost, to fix the problem.

As far as social media, I dont twitter or facebook so I have no need for this. But from what I have seen on my wifes android phone, her facebook seems to be ok. What specifically are you looking for in facebook intergration?

And what feature were you promised that you didnt get?
    No PlayStation Pocket for Verizon it appears to have been streamlined into the game launcher that has the rest of the games.Main: Verizon Play: Where is the Playstation...

I do believe the games will come.

As far as the GPS it doesnt really bother me as I really wouldnt use this as more than a street navigator. In no way would I use or recommend using a cell phone as a navigation device on the trail.

Facebook has no integration with the phone at all right now. I would like a contact sync feature. this may be enabled on other android phones. not a real biggie but seems a no brainer as BB and apple both do this. As far as the 2.3.3 release Im not certain that Verizon will be getting this as per SE rep. Not sure on what he really knows.

After further review I dont believe anything not promised was omitted. Only some of the implied items such as pocket, Social media integration and HD video was originally spec'd .

Dont get me wrong I like the phone for what it does and believe it will only get better, I just think I was expecting a little more "PlayStation" in the phone.

Apparently fb integration has a few legalities behind it. I remember reading an article a couple of months ago saying that syncing contacts is a problem without a company going through certain steps and what not. Steps that I don't think Google wants to deal with and seeing that the Verizon Xperia Play is vanilla and not Sony Ericsson's skin, facebook integration is a little more difficult for us. I could be wrong and I'm honestly not about to go dig up the article on engadget but I'm pretty sure I remember reading an article about that. But that is why I'm really annoyed Verizon once again messed up a phone because they felt the need to and the fact that because Verizon controls our phones, we're not getting 2.3.3 until 2.3.5 comes out _-_.

i think it needs more playstation content. that was my biggest thing. there is only 1 psx game released for it, and it isn't even one of the better ones. ( i do like crash, though)

i just expected a little bit more "specialness" out of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links