Xperia vs Captivate?

This is a discussion on Xperia vs Captivate? within the Sony Xperia X10 forums, part of the Sony Android Phones category; This is the most helpful review I have read. Captivate it is. HTC Aria vs Samsung Captivate - xda-developers Originally Posted by andoh The Aria ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xperia vs Captivate?

This is the most helpful review I have read.

Captivate it is.

HTC Aria vs Samsung Captivate - xda-developers

Quote Originally Posted by andoh View Post
    The Aria or the Capivate? That is the question.

The question really comes down to, what do YOU need your phone to do?

The Aria

Do you want a light weight phone?
    Do you want a phone that you can easily use one handed?
    Do you want a phone that is very responsive and snappy?
    Do you like cyanogen?
    Do you like the idea of a phone with a high friction backing so you never drop it?

The Captivate

Do you want a media powerhouse?
    Do you want a loud speaker phone?
    Do you want flash 10.1 support?
    Are you willing to wait for cyanogen?
    How do you feel about a phone that has some amazing internet components, but a very cheap exterior?
    Do you have sausage fingers?

So what does it all boil down to? The aria is snappy, but don't expect it to do intensive apps. It can do anything text based. It will be an awesome at emails, texts, it has great call quality. It can play video, but you do need to optimize the video for its resolution, hand brake will become your friend. The aria does an awesome job with Pandora on HQ, makes a great mp3 player. It does need a good sd card if you plan on having a lot of music though. Speaker phone lacks volume, hard to hear when driving.

The captivate on the other hand, you can drop almost any video file onto the internet 16gb sd card. Any resolution is fine. The screen is gorgeous. Call quality is great, speaker phone is great. Froyo is out for captivate, but you need to be android savy to install the rom. The phone supports flash 10.1, you can view youtube.com, no apps needed. The phone crushes video games, psx emulating. I highly recommend krazy kart racers, and angry birds.

Do you want an easy to use, small easy to pocket phone.

Or do you want a Media power house?

That is the question. I own both models, I ended up giving my Aria to the wife, if you have any questions send them my way, pm'ing me is great I would be happy to help.

I prefer Captivate...

I thought I would add some real world experience.

I had the Captivate for 2 weeks. I used the F bomb out of it too.

The one thing that made me return it was the Random Shutdown issue. "They" being the captivate community are running all around pointing fingers at everything from ATK to Launcher Pro, Then some ATT employee shows up and drops a big bomb.

Not only is it a known to Samsung hardware/software conflict, They "may" include a fix for that in the forever coming 2.2 upgrade.

Samsung treats North America like a red headed stepchild. We're 2nd from the bottom on the list for that update and then it still has to get F'd up by ATT like they LOVE to do to anything and then maybe, Just maybe they'll get it by January.

SCREW ALL THAT!

Samsung has been in my disfavor since the Eternity and the Touch wiz update that never came for that phone.

I sent my Captivate that shut down EVERYDAY! multiple times a day back to Wirefly, I got the X10 coming and I can't stand the wait :D

You guys got the 2.1 update and the rumored but probable "Pinch zoom" update in January. So be grateful not everyone gets what they're promised.

Oh and let's not talk about the GPS and the roll of the dice as to whether yours will get a signal or not. ... :ShakeMyFrickinHead:

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    The one thing that made me return it was the Random Shutdown issue. "They" being the captivate community are running all around pointing fingers at everything from ATK to Launcher Pro, Then some ATT employee shows up and drops a big bomb.

Not only is it a known to Samsung hardware/software conflict, They "may" include a fix for that in the forever coming 2.2 upgrade.
    It's a kernel issue. In sleep on some phones, the kernel drops the CPU speeds to unacceptable levels and it never wakes up without a battery pull. With different kernels that's no longer an issue, and I can't say I have EVER seen it happen to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    Oh and let's not talk about the GPS and the roll of the dice as to whether yours will get a signal or not. ... :ShakeMyFrickinHead:
    THAT, is a known hardware issue, and is fixed in the later revision phones. The first batches of the handsets are still fully under warranty, and will 9 times out of 10 be replaced with later revision hardware if warrantied through AT&T. Wirefly, however, I know nothing about.

Captivate random shuts down - Page 67 - xda-developers

Still an issue. Replacement phones,2.2 phones,leaked Froyo phones.... Shutting down.

hello i currently have the iphone3g and want to switch to android on att i heard the best ones available are the x10 or the captivate if this is true which one would you recommend?

"The gps has already been fixed on the captivate."
    NOT TRUE. Despite two corporate announcements that it was fixed (i.e. twice) there has been no real change on the hardware, and the hardware is apparently the problem. There was one configuration change affecting the assistedGPS (A-GPS) modes but even with AT&T's FOTA update last month, the AGPS settings still use a disconnected server. Which just tells us that no one at AT&T or Samsung bothered to check their own settings!

There is a user kludge to manually point that server to a google GPSserver, but that still doesn't help GPS performance, it only help A-GPS performance. If you are out of internet and cellular range, in the Arizona desert, in the Vermont mountains, anyplace where you have no data signal? The GPS still stinks, it is "deaf" compared to other GPS units. That's apparently a hardware problem caused by Samsung using a cheap GPS chipset, or interference or bad positioning in the phone. Like the iPhone4 antenna problem, it is not going to be fixed by a software update. Considering the way AT&T and Samsung both stonewall on this one--I'd guess it will need a recall and "Captivate-v2" replacement upgrade.

I'm also looking at the X10 after sending back a Captivate. Besides the incredibly poor GPS, the volume control only has 16 steps from silent to full. Check your TV or radio, I'll bet it has at least 64. And the Android music players (almost all of them, including the ones on the phone) can't do "continuous play" like Apple does. They insert breaks between tracks, which can make all kinds of musci sound like an LP with skips. I know high school kids who could do better than that, Apple fixed that 7 years ago with the "continuous play" options. But if skips don't bother you, try storing a couple of CDs with "various artists". Once you get 65(?) artists in the database, the music players crash.

And if you're used to leaving your phone ON all the time, and plug it into the charger when you go to bed? It will faithfully wake you up every night to let you know the battery has been charged, please unplug the charger. You can't shut that (light & sound) unless you silence or shut the phone.

Honestly...this puppy has a beautiful screen, great call quality, but it says "I WAS RUSHED OUT TO MARKET BY NEW KIDS" all over it.

Maybe the GPS works well enough in Korea, since Korea is closer to heaven and the GPS satellites? But Samsung really could have had a winner here, if they'd paid any attention to details. Wait for whatever replaces the Captivate, maybe they'll get it right the second time around. Or...thats' why I'm looking at the X10.

wow that definately helped i just wish att had a nice phone like the Droid X or pro or incredible i like those droids a lot

Jay, sometimes I think AT&T has totally lost their way. I don't think Verizon really "does" anything better so I haven't jumped ship. Yet. But the Motorola name used to mean something & Mot has gone through some changes at the corporate level and supposedly is going to try to become a world leader in cell phones again. Maybe Vz were smart enough to lock in Motorola the same way that AT&T locked in Apple, and AT&T just can't get Mot product. Or maybe...they figure Blackberry corporate accounts are all they need.

Dunno, but if I want a phone that is warranteed to be useable if I'm out in the rain--that's a Motorola or Citizen (?!) and they're both available from Verizon--not AT&T. I'm going back to tin cans and string soon, if none of the players stands up and gives me a great solution. I know Sprint tries harder--but still loses more accounts than they gain. And T-Mob has some nice offers and phones, but if you wander off the highways and airports, their coverage still just isn't up to par. Seems like every one of the carriers is busy selling sizzle, and not interested in supplying a better steak.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links