Xperia vs Captivate?

This is a discussion on Xperia vs Captivate? within the Sony Xperia X10 forums, part of the Sony Android Phones category; If the Xperia had a newer build of Android on it, would you choose it over the Captivate or Aria?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xperia vs Captivate?

dandroid

Xperia vs Captivate?

If the Xperia had a newer build of Android on it, would you choose it over the Captivate or Aria?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Well the X 10 is $70 cheaper, but the Captivate most likely has the bigger community backing it. It would be a hard choice, but I would go with the X 10.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

I have no idea if it's true or not, but I have read that the xperia doesn't have multitouch, and that it's the hardware, not the software. Anyone know for sure?

It doesn't have multitouch. I don't know if it's. because of hardware or because it is running 1.6.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

The X10 does only have 1.6 but it's not that big of a deal for two reasons. One, most apps work with 1.6 and above. Two, Sony has already officially stated that the 2.1 update will begin rolling out in Sept. It will roll out in phases by regions. They did not state which region would get it first though. They also stated that the display is capable of 16m colors and that the specs page only lists what it's capable of with Android 1.6. There is still plenty of speculation about MT but I personally could care less about it.

I had the Captivate for 28 days. I had to swap it once after 3 days. I returned it 3 days ago and replaced it with the X10. Here are some of my observations:

The Captivate has amazing specs and an amazing display. It also has one of the worst OEM Android builds I have seen. There are so many bugs and issues it's unbelievable. For some unknown reason, Samsung chose an unusual file system for their device. It appears that much of the lag is being caused by the fs. I had random reboots, random shutdowns and random freezing with my device. The GPS was a joke (although Samsung promises to fix it) and the overall feeling I got was that this product was rushed out in an unfinished state. Poor testing is the only explanation for some of the issues. It's a shame really as this device has major potential. I relate it to car audio systems. The best components in the world will sound like garbage if not properly put together and tuned. Conversely, the worst components can sound really good for the same reasons. The bottom line is that the overall experience is the most important aspect of a smartphone. Add to all this the piece of garbage called KIES and it really gives me very little faith that Samsung can or even will resolve all of these problems. Yes they will probably resolve the GPS issue but I seriously doubt they will be capable of building a stable Android ROM. It will take the community a long time to build a rom that is more than just a mash up of existing roms with a custom kernel. Many of the issues on this device appear to be more low level (i.e. driver related) issues.

The X10 is not quite as impressive if you just look at the specs. It is no slouch either. It has the 1ghz Snapdragon that powers most of the high-end Android devices. It also has a 4" screen but it's a slightly different aspect ratio from the Captivate. As such, it's actually more comfortable to hold because it's taller where the Captivate is wider. The device also has a higher quality feel to it. I prefer the physical buttons over the soft buttons on the Captivate as well. It also has an LED indicator and a dedicated Camera button. The OS has been incredibly stable for me and hasn't crashed or force closed yet. Granted I have already rooted it and debranded it by replacing the AT&T ROM with the most recent Generic ROM (still OEM). The Media player on the X10 is the best I've seen on Android (probably any Smartphone) and the PC Companion software is outstanding (better than iTunes but not quite as nice as Zune). The difference that is most apparent between the Captivate and the X10 is the overall experience is much smoother and much less troublesome. I do not regret switching from the Captivate at all. I did love the SAMOLED screen but not enough to deal with all the other issues (mostly thanks to Samsung) of the Captivate. The X10 is far better than what I was expecting.

X10 doesn't have multi touch I'm assuming dye to hardware or pie coding. Has nothing to do with it being 1.6. One overlooked fact is the Cliq XT had multi touch out the box and is running 1.5.

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk

Bump.

Any new observations ?

I am on the fence here.

Wirefly has the X10 for $29.99 for upgrade customers,Where as the Captivate is $69.99

For some reason, it shows my post as sometime in august. I just posted that like 2 days ago. Go with the Captivate for the better Android and phone experience.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant. Please excuse my Swype.

I am very leery about getting another samsung phone.

The problems my Eternity has had have been wide spread enough that Samsung should have done something. Instead they debuted the Enternity II ....

I have been reading about the GPS,Ringtone and one other issue the Captive has. It's hard to get interested or excited in a phone that has most of the forums about it focusing on straightening out things that should just work.

On the other hand we have the X10. Seems like a lone wolf. Like no one cares about it and the forum support is slim if any.

Seems like no one wants to touch it and I can't find a lot of good reasons why ?

The camera and the physical buttons are a plus for me.

The rest of the difference barely even make any sense to me as I am a two week old NoOb to the Android OS.

I need to touch them both and play with them for about a half hour each, But none of the stores near me even have an X10 in stock.

The gps has already been fixed on the captivate. Also, even with the snapdragon, the x10 doesn't come close on performance. Android 1.6 is losing support and will soon have the support issues of the backflip.

The captivate, is supported, up to date, and equipped to compete with today's market. Better screen quality, froyo custom roms with the official weeks away. One of the best cameras out for photo and video. And even with touchwiz, which not everyone seems to like, it's a more genuine android experience than the x10's. Curious to knew what a x10 scores on quadrant and linpack.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant. Please excuse my Swype.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links