sony xPeria Z continuously restarts until battery empty

This is a discussion on sony xPeria Z continuously restarts until battery empty within the Sony Xperia Z forums, part of the Sony Android Phones category; extract from my support ticket to the vendor is below - if you are considering buying one you have been warned! I will provide a ...

Thread: sony xPeria Z continuously restarts until battery empty

sony xPeria Z continuously restarts until battery empty

extract from my support ticket to the vendor is below - if you are considering buying one you have been warned! I will provide a progress update.

20130411 (evening): I accepted a phone update from Sony which appeared to complete successfully as the phone was working fine after that. I put the phone on the cradle before going to sleep.

20130412 07:30 as i removed the phone from its cradle i was surprised to see that the charge light was orange.
    When i removed the phone from the cradle it performed a restart and this cycle continued until approx 08:45 (each time displaying the 'enter pin' screen which then disappeared after 2 seconds as it went back into restart mode). At 08:45 I heard a reminder at which point i was able to enter the unlock pin.
    During the continuous restart cycle I believe i went through the correct procedure to perform a hard reset (twice) but, as you will see below, it appears not to have worked (another cause for concern!). The procedure I used was to hold the power and volume-up buttons continuously until the phone buzzed three times and went back into the beginning of another restart mode.
    The phone has been working normally and i have lost no data or installed applications

20130412 20:00 problem has returned: the phone has been going through the same restart process for 45 minutes and, once again, the upper rear section is almost untouchable owing to heat.

I have removed the sim and storage cards and will use another phone until this is resolved.

20130413 07:00 battery empty.

20130415 started working again and has not had the same issue since. I can't recall if i did a hard reset but i have not used the PC companion software again. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a reply from sony who advised i use the Update Service software and the response immediately follows. Unfortunately the software errored on startup and i am waiting for a response from them after sending them the log.

Dear Geoff,

Thank you for contacting the Sony Xperia support centre.

From the issues described, we would suggest that you update the software on your handset using the Standalone Update Service tool via a Windows PC.
    This service bypasses the pre-requistes required by PC Companion at the point of connection and should resolve any connectivity issues experienced.
    To carry out the update you will need internet access and a USB cable.
    It may be the case that user data is lost during this upgrade. We therefore recommend backing up any data to your SIM card, Memory Stick, or PC before upgrading.

To Download Update service simply visit the below link

Installation instructions
    Download the installation package to a temporary folder on your PC.
    Run the downloaded file, and follow the instructions that appear.

Before you perform a software update, make sure you back up and save any important data stored in your phone. Data stored on the Memory card will not be affected by an update.
    System requirements
    Internet connection (preferably broadband)
    USB cable
    Intel® Pentium® 4, 2.0 GHz or higher, AMD Athlon
    500 MB free hard disk space
    512 MB RAM
    1 available USB 2.0 port
    Windows XP™ (Home or Professional) with SP2 or later
    Microsoft® Windows Vista™
    Microsoft® Windows 7
    Microsoft® Windows 8

these words are here in the hope of making it easier to find this post and because i don't know how to add tags to it (please tell me if you know!).

HTML Code:
    HTML Code:
    HTML Code:
    HTML Code:
    "over and over"
    Last edited by durhamGeoff; 04-22-2013 at 03:05 AM. Reason: add info re poss resolution

2. is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links