Sprint will not be upgrading Hero and Moment to 2.2

This is a discussion on Sprint will not be upgrading Hero and Moment to 2.2 within the Sprint Android News forums, part of the Sprint category; Sad news for Sprint users who own the HTC Hero and Samsung Moment. Apparently, the only current Sprint device to be receiving Android 2.2 is ...

Thread: Sprint will not be upgrading Hero and Moment to 2.2

Sprint will not be upgrading Hero and Moment to 2.2

Sad news for Sprint users who own the HTC Hero and Samsung Moment. Apparently, the only current Sprint device to be receiving Android 2.2 is the HTC Evo 4G. Other older devices, such as the HTC Hero and Samsung Moment will not be seeing the update.

Here is the quote from a Sprint Employee over at community.sprint.com:
    As work on finalizing the software is under way, Sprint expects to launch Android 2.2 in the near future.

Sorry for any confusion created when we initially made this announcement. HTC EVO 4G will receive the 2.2 update, Samsung Moment and HTC Hero will not. Future devices launching with 2.1 also will be updated to 2.2

With the Android 2.2 upgrade, customers can expect improvements to include the following benefits: updates to user interface, improved EAS Support, improved browser performance, including Flash 10x Support, voice dialing over Bluetooth and application storage on external memory.
    From the wording, it seems probable that the Moment and Hero may never see 2.2, from the manufacturer at least.

What do you guys think of this development? Do you feel abandoned by Sprint? Does this incline you to upgrade an Evo 4g? Let us know.

Via: Gadgetell.com
    Source: Sprint.com
    FroYo artwork courtesy of: AndroidRelease.com

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I personally would not upgrade if my phone was less than 4 years old. I also would not get a new phone just to get a .1 version upgrade on an OS. It MIGHT tend to make me root my phone and get 2.2 that way.

I feel abandoned for sure. It took forever to get 2.1 for my Hero.

I had a Hero and honestly if I still had it I would not expect to receive the 2.2 update, and would not be pissed that I wasn't. It's an old phone, people can't expect it to get upgraded to every latest and greatest version of Android. I personally feel that HTC and Sprint aren't obligated to update it past 2.1.

In my opinion the Hero already recieved its update to 2.1. If android updates all old phones to the next best thing every time it comes you have less incentive to buy a new phone. Now that being said you can rub it in my face when gingerbread comes out and i complain about no update for my Evo lol. Still being said i hope you Hero owners come up for upgrade soon cuz the Evo is a great phone

Not that old

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
    I had a Hero and honestly if I still had it I would not expect to receive the 2.2 update, and would not be pissed that I wasn't. It's an old phone, people can't expect it to get upgraded to every latest and greatest version of Android. I personally feel that HTC and Sprint aren't obligated to update it past 2.1.
    My Hero is just 3 months old. I needed a phone, and it was all that Sprint had at the time. I expect more support, or else a reduced price upgrade.

The carriers may have to look at upgrade policies. These are not Java-powered flip phones; these are basically computers with operating systems.

Sprint--pay attention!

The first carriers that can separate the OS from the phone functions and let users upgrade as they see fit, while still keeping control over their carrier services, will be the ones to succeed in the smartphone market.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links