Sprint Makes Samsung Epic 4G (aka Galaxy) Official

This is a discussion on Sprint Makes Samsung Epic 4G (aka Galaxy) Official within the Sprint Android News forums, part of the Sprint category; Samsung has been rather busy as of late. First, T-Mobile announces their own version of the Samsung Galaxy, dubbed Vibrant, with a July 21st release ...

Thread: Sprint Makes Samsung Epic 4G (aka Galaxy) Official

Sprint Makes Samsung Epic 4G (aka Galaxy) Official

Samsung has been rather busy as of late. First, T-Mobile announces their own version of the Samsung Galaxy, dubbed Vibrant, with a July 21st release date. Now, Sprint announces the Samsung Epic 4G, another variant of the Galaxy.

The internals of the Vibrant and the Epic are the same. Both will house the 1GHz Samsung Hummingbird CPU with 1GB ROM and 512MB RAM. Both will launch with Android 2.1 with a custom UI skin (TouchWiz 3.0).

How is the Epic 4G different from the Vibrant? First and foremost, the Epic will indeed have 4G bands. Secondly, the Epic will have a QWERTY slide-out keyboard, while the Vibrant will rely solely on the touchscreen keyboard. Thirdly, the Epic will include a 16gb microSD card, while the Vibrant will only include a 2gb card.

As a refresher, what is the big deal behind the Samsung Epic 4G?

• 1 GHz Samsung Hummingbird CPU (ARM Cortex-A8 architecture and PowerVR SGX540 GPU)
    • 4.0" Super AMOLED Display
    • 5 MP Camera with 720p Recording
    • 4G Capable with appropriate 4G bands
    • Hardware QWERTY keyboard
    • 512mb RAM, 1gb ROM
    • Android 2.1 with custom TouchWiz interface (with 2.2 purportedly soon to follow)

GPU Comparison (thanks to AndroidAndMe):
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="quote" style="padding-left: 50px;">
    Motorola Droid: TI OMAP3430 with PowerVR SGX530 = 7-14 million(?) triangles/sec
    Nexus One: Qualcomm QSD850 with Adreno 200 = 22 million triangles/sec
    iPhone 3G S: 600 MHz Cortex-A8 with PowerVR SGX535 = 28 7 million triangles/sec
    Samsung Galaxy S: S5PC110 with PowerVR SGX540 = 90 million triangles/sec
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    As you can see, the Samsung Hummingbird has arguably the greatest CPU/GPU combo to date on a smartphone. Sporting a Super AMOLED is also intriguing, as it promises a massive glare reduction, compared to its AMOLED counterpart (via Engadget). And of course, have 4G capabilities is a huge plus, if you're lucky to be in a 4G service area.

We have still yet to hear a release date, but we are assuming it will come out around July 21st (the date that the Samsung Vibrant hits T-Mobile stores)

Anyone plan on buying one of these? Let us know what you think.

Via: Phandroid
    Source: Sprint.com

Check out the Samsung Vibrant here

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Not a chance lol... just because my evo is the cats a$$. Ill see what sprint has to offer Q1 2011 thats when i can upgrade my other line. Still happy to see sprint rolling out some new phones. Choice is key

I'm impressed. I think having that keyboard is a great feature to have. The phone may give the evo a runs for its money!

My GF has been a Samsung nut until she seen the EVO , when I showed her a picture and told her that Samsung has a 4g droid comming out it . she had said so I want a Evo , which she gets in a few more months when her upgrade comes in .

1 times
    I think it's ugly.

To change the looks of my samsung galaxy i have explore the world of cellfone skins and i really got the best one but please tell me how to install it properly?

samsung galaxy skins

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links