DMUpdater updated to root Droid 1, Droid X, and EVO 4G within app

This is a discussion on DMUpdater updated to root Droid 1, Droid X, and EVO 4G within app within the Sprint Android News forums, part of the Sprint category; Updated 8/2 @3:21PM EST: Don't use the leaked DMUpdater... could brick devices... info here . thanks to pilotcharles747 for the heads up! [Links removed] -- ...

Thread: DMUpdater updated to root Droid 1, Droid X, and EVO 4G within app

DMUpdater updated to root Droid 1, Droid X, and EVO 4G within app

Updated 8/2 @3:21PM EST: Don't use the leaked DMUpdater... could brick devices... info here. thanks to pilotcharles747 for the heads up! [Links removed]

--
    Remember the DroidMod team, one of the first dev teams on the Droid scene way back when? DroidMod became famous for building the first custom recovery for the Droid (SPRecovery) and developing an app to root the Droid 1 (running Android 2.0.1). For awhile, however, the group had been in hibernation, supposedly working on a groundbreaking from-source ROM.

Well today, the DroidMod team proved it had not been idling all these months, as it released a new and improved version of its DMUpdater app. DMUpdater version 12 has the ability to root quite a few Android 2.1 phones from within the app, including the Droid 1, DROID X, and HTC Evo 4G. And remarkably, this is the first tool available to root a Droid 1 running 2.1, as previous methods required you to fiddle with USB drivers, ADB, and RSDLite. DMUpdater v12 is still considered beta, and not yet available in the Android Market. Also, SPRecovery is only meant for the Droid 1. Don't attempt to install SPRecovery on the EVO 4G or DROID X.

Download here: [link removed]

So far we only tested DMUpdater 12 on the Droid 1, and the app roots and installs a custom recovery (SPRecovery) flawlessly. In addition, the app is designed to root the DROID X and HTC Evo 4G; this has not been confirmed on our end, so be wary. DO NOT FLASH SPRECOVERY ON ANYTHING BUT THE DROID 1. Also, note this version is still considered a beta, so it may not always work as intended. Let us know how it worked for you.

The instructions are straightforward:

1. Download install the APK (D1, DX, EVO)
    2. Click, "Root my Phone" (D1, DX, EVO)
    3. Click "Allow" when app requests SuperUser access (D1, DX, EVO)
    4. Allow SPRecovery to be flashed on your phone (Droid 1 only)

Voila, your 2.1 Android handset is now rooted with a custom recovery (SPRecovery). Do not attempt this if you're running Android 2.2. We don't yet know the ramifications.

With such a simplified tool available, now is as good a time as any to root, dont'cha think?

Visit DroidMod.org for future support. Or find them in IRC: Freenode #droidmod

via Droid-Life

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I wonder if this can root a post OTA 1.47.651.1 Evo... ?

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
    I wonder if this can root a post OTA 1.47.651.1 Evo... ?
    a bit unclear on the matter. your best bet would be to jump into DroidMod's IRC channel and ask them.

OP updated. don't flash sprecovery on the EVO 4G.

If this root works for the evo my question is this. Would it be better to root and use the rooted version of froyo or do the ota update and stay stock? With root you get much more options for customizing your phone but you dont get ota updates. HMMMM These are the things that keep me up at night lol

I don't really want to root my handset anymore ? Can I unroot it after rooted ?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links