Kevin Packingham Leaves Sprint

This is a discussion on Kevin Packingham Leaves Sprint within the Sprint Android News forums, part of the Sprint category; Kevin Packingham, the man who was responsible for bringing the first 4G Android Phone to Sprint is leaving August 16th. He has been with the ...

Thread: Kevin Packingham Leaves Sprint

danDroid

Kevin Packingham Leaves Sprint

Kevin Packingham, the man who was responsible for bringing the first 4G Android Phone to Sprint is leaving August 16th. He has been with the company since 1999 and mostly been involved with product development throughout his career with Sprint. Packingham also was responsible for working with outside software developers that make "apps" for Sprint smart phones. His latest involvement was with the Samsung Epic 4g that should be hitting the streets late this month.

SEATTLE Wireless carrier Sprint Nextel Corp. said Thursday that one of its top product development veterans is leaving the company.

Kevin Packingham, senior vice president of product and technology development, has been with Sprint since 1999. His last day will be Aug. 16, according to spokeswoman Jennifer Walsh Kiefer.

Packingham, 39, is leaving to become CEO of another venture based in Kansas City, Mo. The spokeswoman declined to give further details.

Sprint gained wireless subscribers in the most recent quarter for the first time in three years. It had been losing subscribers ever since its 2005 acquisition of Nextel. That network, incompatible with Sprint's, is valued for its walkie-talkie-like push-to-talk function but is poorly suited to smart phones.

The Overland Park, Kan., company is making a bet that a faster 4th-generation, or 4G, wireless network will help it turn around the losses. Packingham led the group responsible for launching the first 4G phone, the Evo from HTC Corp., and had just announced a second model, the Epic from Samsung Corp.

Packingham also was responsible for working with outside software developers that make "apps" for Sprint smart phones.

Kiefer said Sprint will not fill Packingham's exact position. His colleague Fared Adib, vice president of product development, and his manager Steve Elfman, will continue to work on product development. The technology development team will report to Elfman.

Sprint shares dipped a penny to close at $4.47.
    Source: The Associated Press: Sprint executive leading 4G phone charge to leave

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Junior Member shepherdofthedamned's Avatar
    Glad I got the EVO before they start putting out junk android

To bad he has to go but i dont think Sprint will all the sudden start putting out junk. This is still only one person in a large company and hopefully his team will follow in the recent strides Sprint has made for their customers.

Sprint has been making great progress with their current lineup and customer service, you really can't chalk that up to only one man's doing. I'm sure (read: hope) they will continue on the path that they're on regardless of Packingham's departure.

You won't see any significant changes in direction unless Dan Hesse leaves.

And it's not Sprint that would make the junk but HTC or LG or Motorola or Samsung. Android users are geeks and for the most part won't buy junk, so I don't see that happening on the Android platform so much.

What I would love to see is a separation of "device" and "service" such that you sign up for mobile broadband service, which includes voice and data. Your service is tied to your account, and which device you operate that service on will have nothing to do with the carrier, just like your ISP does not supply your computer. The hard part of doing this is to migrate all the "secret" stuff (the account enabling functions) off the phone and onto the network back end, so that it doesn't matter what's on the phone. There would no longer be any 'hacking' or 'rooting' because you would own your device and all the software on it would be under your control.

If Sprint were to latch on to that concept first, they would kick ass in the marketplace.
    I gave my iPhone to my 5 year old and got an EVO.

I here you on that one. I think Dan has been great for Sprint and they seem to be headed in the right direction. He is the face of Sprint now and really seems to be putting himself behind the quality of the new Sprint.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links