OTA that uncaps FPS and other tweaks to arrive tomorrow?

This is a discussion on OTA that uncaps FPS and other tweaks to arrive tomorrow? within the Sprint Android News forums, part of the Sprint category; For those of you that have been following the 30fps cap story, you'll remember that HTC has said over and over that it was a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OTA that uncaps FPS and other tweaks to arrive tomorrow?

OTA that uncaps FPS and other tweaks to arrive tomorrow?

For those of you that have been following the 30fps cap story, you'll remember that HTC has said over and over that it was a hardware limitation and not fixable by software changes, even though there are thousands of rooted phones achieving 53-55fps. Well, the buzz going around the interwebz is that a new OTA is to begin rolling out tomorrow, 9/22, that among other things, fixes the 30fps cap. This has not been *officially* confirmed by Sprint or HTC, so take this information with a grain of salt. If this is in fact true, non-rooted users are about to experience a much smoother UI and superior graphics performance. [sdx]

http://forum.sdx-developers.com/news...10-3-29-651-5/

Software Version: HTC - EVO 4G (A9292) - 3.29.651.5
    Release Date: 9/22/2010
    Update Method: Available OTA + Retail

Version History:

* Calendar Event Edit Issue
    * Multiple Gmail Account Sync
    * 30 FPS uncapped
    * GPS Reboot

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The public perception (somewhat borne out by fact) is that software is easy to fix, and hardware is hard (or expensive) to fix.

If fixing the cap was not high on HTC's priority list, it may have been convenient to say it was a hardware issue. That is, until they were proved wrong. Now, despite what HTC said, the public perception is that it's a software issue, which should be trivial to fix. So now they are pretty much backed into a corner and have to fix it.

These days, there is very little "hardware" left. There are essentially only 3 types of hardware: processors, memory, and I/O (input/output.) Even the fancy Wimax radio is probably just a combination of Digital Signal Processor (processor) and a few programmable oscillators and filters (I/O.)

So when a company tells you that a fix is not possible because it's a hardware issue, take it with a grain of salt.
    I gave my iPhone to my 5 year old and got an EVO.

Quote Originally Posted by rich_c View Post
    The public perception (somewhat borne out by fact) is that software is easy to fix, and hardware is hard (or expensive) to fix.

If fixing the cap was not high on HTC's priority list, it may have been convenient to say it was a hardware issue. That is, until they were proved wrong. Now, despite what HTC said, the public perception is that it's a software issue, which should be trivial to fix. So now they are pretty much backed into a corner and have to fix it.

These days, there is very little "hardware" left. There are essentially only 3 types of hardware: processors, memory, and I/O (input/output.) Even the fancy Wimax radio is probably just a combination of Digital Signal Processor (processor) and a few programmable oscillators and filters (I/O.)

So when a company tells you that a fix is not possible because it's a hardware issue, take it with a grain of salt.

I think the reason they claimed it to me a hardware issue is because of the HDMI limitations. So I am not sure how this effects HDMI, but I can say that probably 0.5% of the people that have this phone will ever hook up an HDMI, and of those, 90% of them will do it once.

So has anyone actually got the update yet? Sprint has it posted on their site, so it's offical. Keep checking on my EVO and it tells me there are no updates.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorKillin View Post
    So has anyone actually got the update yet? Sprint has it posted on their site, so it's offical. Keep checking on my EVO and it tells me there are no updates.
    Where on their site this update posted? It's not under the evo downloads.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Full Body Protection for your smartphone.
    Get 1 Free!
    http://stealthguards.com/idevaffilia...ate.php?id=417

Here is the link regarding the update on Sprint's page.

Support - Article

There is also an article on Engadget

Sprint outs EVO 4G and Hero updates, EVO framerate cap might be solved -- Engadget

Finally got the upgrade. Took about 5 minutes to download (aprox 22 Meg). Total time to update about 10 minutes. Phone reboots twice. Phone sat at the 4G screen for about a minute, so don't panic. Then wait for the progress bar to hit 100%. Lastly, skip the turtorial, unless you need a refresher on how to use the keyboard.

So far the phone does feel faster, just navigating around.
    Quandrant = 1166.
    Neocore = 28.2

Also ran FPS2D and got the following.

AVG=53 stdev=6.95

Has anyone with unrevoked 3.21 done the ota update? Mine gets stuck at the android robot screen with an exclamation mark. Also having unrevoked 3.21, can I install custom roms without doing anything else?

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Full Body Protection for your smartphone.
    Get 1 Free!
    http://stealthguards.com/idevaffilia...ate.php?id=417

Yankee you need to flash the stock recovery in order to accept an OTA with unrevoked.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links