Sprint May Soon be Forced to Switch to LTE and Abandon WiMAX

This is a discussion on Sprint May Soon be Forced to Switch to LTE and Abandon WiMAX within the Sprint Android News forums, part of the Sprint category; Sprint's Senior Vice President of Networks, Bob Azzi, shared with PC World journalist, Mark Sullivan that Sprint may soon need to give up WiMAX 4G ...

Thread: Sprint May Soon be Forced to Switch to LTE and Abandon WiMAX

Sprint May Soon be Forced to Switch to LTE and Abandon WiMAX

Sprint's Senior Vice President of Networks, Bob Azzi, shared with PC World journalist, Mark Sullivan that Sprint may soon need to give up WiMAX 4G and move aggressively into LTE 4G. The problem stems from Clearwire, the company that Sprint is partnered with to implement the WiMAX technology. It seems that Clearwire is in fairly dire financial trouble and needs an influx of investor capital to continue expanding the WiMAX network for Sprint.

Intelligence gathered seems to indicate that Sprint is unwilling to fork over the money that Clearwire needs for two primary reasons. One, Clearwire and Sprint seem to be engaged in an internal struggle over control of the WiMAX network, with Clearwire not giving Sprint enough control to warrant Sprint pumping more money into the cash-strapped company. The second reason is that WiMAX and LTE technology aren't really very different. Supposedly, it would be fairly easy and inexpensive for Sprint to simply convert over their existing infrastructure by installing new base-band cards at Sprint network facilities, and running a software upgrade. If that is a viable and cheaper solution for them, then why would they dump more money down a 'rat-hole'?

Further rumint seems to also suggest that Sprint is starting to believe that LTE will provide better speeds and capacity than the WiMAX solution. Originally, Sprint only 'jumped in bed' with Clearwire because they wanted to be first to market with 4G technology, and Clearwire's tech was already in place. This may be a case of 'upping the ante' too soon, and Sprint should have held their cards closer to the chest for a bit longer. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Source: Phandroid via PC World

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Well i hope it all works out

Lte All For It

I personally don't believe Sprint should dump more more money into the clearwire project. They were first. It's been accomplished. I feel Lte is and will be a better fit for them.

GET

Lte

LTE is the right decision. Clear is on a bad frequency. Sprint should move to 700Mhz, and shift to GSM. Further they should partner with an existing provider. They would lower their costs, their partners costs, while providing us users with a superior network.

I've heard the Lte band strengths are remarkable but I wonder if the 'update' dosent require a cap on my data usage or unroot my phone. I like the way my phone is now, I don't want to be forced into an update I don't need.

They are not being forced to switch. They are choosing to switch to be able to compete with the other lte companies. They can put more money into wimax but it will be more cost effective to switch to lte. All they need to do is upgrade software on the wimax towers and they can run lte off them. They will continue to run current wimax towers as long as they need to and this way have even more 4g coverage.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Free! Full Body Protection for your smartphone.
    http://stealthguards.com/idevaffilia...ate.php?id=417

can it run smoothly? It seems no bad one.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links