Evo without a contract. Is it possible?

This is a discussion on Evo without a contract. Is it possible? within the Sprint forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I am new to this forum and the EVO is my first data phone. The EVO is a very nice phone, can't complain about it ...

Thread: Evo without a contract. Is it possible?

Evo without a contract. Is it possible?

I am new to this forum and the EVO is my first data phone. The EVO is a very nice phone, can't complain about it at all.

I am wondering if it is possible to do this:

I paid $199.00 for the phone at BB and have a 2 year contract. I am thinking about paying the $200.00 ETF and braking the contract. My questions are these:

1) Will the EVO work as just a Wi-Fi device if I don't have a contact?

2) Or will Sprint require that I continue with full service, but on a month-to-month basis?

The reason I ask is that I don't really need phone service or wireless service. I just want a hand held computer with Wi-Fi and this would give me that for a price of $400.00.

What am I overlooking? Is there some other option (not interested in iPad) that I should consider?

I hope this isn't the dumb question of the day. :confused:

Regards. Davehries

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

For roughly $300 you can get a good netbook, but that's probably too large for what you are looking for.

Try turning off the phone, 3G, etc., and only leaving wifi on and see how it works. That should give you the answer to your question.

Junior Member Dutchman in Seattle's Avatar
    Yes this is possible. Put your phone in airplane mode which results that all your 3G and 4G radios are turned off. Turn WIFI on and when you are in range to a hotspot or your wireless router at home you can browse the Interrnet and still receive emails.
    If you download apps like SKYPE you can make calls as well.

Another thing you want to check on is if you break your 2 year contract. I think you have to pay the remainder of the price of the phone. The 199$ price is the contract price and if you break you pay the rest of the 549$ or what ever the full price was. That would put the full price of phone and breaking contract near 750$. Im not 100% sure about this but its worth looking into

danDroid
    Welcome to the forum dave. Have you looked into any of the Android Tablets floating around? Maybe the Dell Streak would be a better/cheaper solution for you?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6borH5yQxA]YouTube - Dell Streak Tablet[/ame]

Thanks for the info. All of you have offered some good stuff. I like the the idea of a Dell Streak. I will check it out.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links