Replacing The Lamentable Samsung Intercept

This is a discussion on Replacing The Lamentable Samsung Intercept within the Sprint forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I've had my Intercept, purchased at BestBuy for US$136 (including all their fees and such), for about a week and I hate it. I don't ...

Thread: Replacing The Lamentable Samsung Intercept

Angry Replacing The Lamentable Samsung Intercept

I've had my Intercept, purchased at BestBuy for US$136 (including all their fees and such), for about a week and I hate it. I don't hate Android. I love Android. I hate the Intercept. Either Samsung has no idea how to put a decent handset together or the build of 2.1 they put on the ROM is bad. Regardless, the phone is slow, crash-prone, has choppy graphics, sluggish Bluetooth support, and very poor touchscreen responsiveness.

I've already hard reset it and I don't use any apps which use background processes outside of what you get from Google. I'm seriously peeved at Samsung, but I'm a little peeved at Sprint as well for imposing a ludicrously high operations rate on the Evo 4G.

So, aside from my rant, I do have a purpose here: Is the HTC Hero better? Talk to me, peeps I could use some encouragement. I don't want to leave the Android community the minute I walk in the door, but I need a handset that works.

Thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I had the Hero before I got my Evo. It is a great device, I had zero problems with it. I was never a big fan of Samsung's phones. They have the most useless interfaces known to man, they feel cheap in the hand, and Samsung is notorious for neglecting their phones as far as updates are concerned.

If you can, shell out the extra $64 and get the Evo!

I wish it would be a mere $64, but there's taxes on the full value of the device (the State of California loves you!), there's the extra $100 for the base price, and then there's the monthly fees for just owning the Evo. Those, from what I understand, are anywhere from $90-110 a month.

If you think that I would be a lot happier with the Hero, then that's what I'll do. I did want it when it first came out, and it will likely last me until prices drop out of the stratosphere for 4G handsets.

I can't justly recommend the Hero over the Intercept because I have never played with an Intercept. I can however, recommend the Hero on its own merits and do wholeheartedly.

Happiness Abounds, oh HTC Hero

I am pleased. It took a while for BestBuy to process my exchange, but it was worth it. The Hero is far superior to the Intercept in all manner and form with a few minor exceptions. The Intercept had these action buttons inside the notification slider to turn wi-fi and bluetooth and whatnot on and off. It also had an actual shutter button for the camera.

These little things and whatever else I might notice (later, making them less important) are nothing in comparison to the quality and feel of this handset. It's fast, responsive, and feels like it has much better build quality.

If we are Friends In Droid here, as I believe we are, please let's put up a warning about the Intercept. I'm not saying don't buy it, just be prepared to return it soon.

Thanks!!!

htc hero? really?

no offense man, but you made a terrible choice. the htc hero may have a better feel but software wise you chose an obscolete phone. you should have splurged for the evo in all honesty, its only ten dollars more monthly, and that ten dollars gets you 4g internet which is up to ten times faster than the 3g on your hero. you obviously didnt do your homework because you would know this if you did. you would also know that the hero will not be getting 2.2 froyo which means by the time you are able to upgrade your phone wont be able to run many of the newer android apps on the market. you would have been better off with the intercept just for that reason. you bought a phone thats a year old, thats never a good idea with any electronic equipment, especially phones and computers.

if you plan on rooting your phone than you can disregard my previous comment

Out of the box I thought the Intercept was a piece of garbage. It was horribly slow, the screen was frequently unresponsive, the home and back soft keys frequently fail to register. Still, I only paid $50 for it so I decided to try all this rooting and tweaking I have been hearing was so popular on Android.

Well I did, and it makes a HUGE difference. Once I rooted it and began loading custom kernels the phone has steadily climbed in performance. The screen itself became more responsive. About the only problem that hasn't begun dropping away is the home/back issue.

Bottom line, if you can get this phone for $50 or cheaper and you are technically inclined, go for it. If you are looking at paying more then $50 though I would put that money to a higher end phone.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links