Peace. Out. (or Android isn't ready for me)

This is a discussion on Peace. Out. (or Android isn't ready for me) within the Sprint forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Hey all. It was a very short period of time I was involved in this community. You guys are fantastic and, if I ever return ...

Thread: Peace. Out. (or Android isn't ready for me)

Peace. Out. (or Android isn't ready for me)

Hey all. It was a very short period of time I was involved in this community. You guys are fantastic and, if I ever return to the Android fold, I will certainly grace the virtual halls of SprintDroids.com with pleasure.

Why am I out? Simply put, Android isn't there, in my opinion, and the hardware isn't there, unless you pay a meaningless tax. In greater detail, Android is too buggy and unstable, it doesn't play well on CPUs which can easily handle optimized Linux kernels, and the large variety of handsets, while certainly empowering, diversify Android to a unpleasant degree.

As for the tax, I'm not willing to change to a plan I don't need and pay an extra $10 a month for the privilege of NOT getting access to Sprint's new 4G network. None of Sprint's answers regarding the $10 Evo 4G fee are acceptable and were likely proposed by Gorilla's, which gives decent Gorilla's a bad name.

I left a 1.5 year old BlackBerry Curve 8330 for an Intercept, which turned out to be unresponsive crap. I turned that in for an HTC Hero, which at first was better, but also turned out to be unusable and unstable in its own annoying ways.

I found much of the functionality of Android to be wonderful, loved the integration, and was deeply impressed with the voice navigation, which was handled better on the Intercept than the Hero. It's just a shame that you REQUIRE a 1GHz CPU in order for the software to have enough horsepower just to be reasonably smooth.

I saw in another thread someone had irrationally predicted the downfall of the iPhone. I have news for you, Android isn't going to be the catalyst of Apple's failure. No one handset is. The mobile phone market is so big, Apple makes a significant profit with just one carrier and less than a quarter of the smartphone market (which itself is only a small portion of the overall mobile phone market!)

So, what have I done? I didn't move back to my slow, old BB. I instead invested in a nice, functional, stable, reliable Palm Pre. I know that many of you will scoff at that, and that's your right. I was a Palm fan for many years. I have thousands of dollars of Palm gear in my desk drawers, all of which I used for years instead of my brain.

I'm happy with it, it does what I need, and it works. I'm not saying this to push anyone to switch. Quite the opposite. Go with what you want! I should have done that in the first place, but I was drawn in by a lot of people saying that Android rocked, including Leo Laporte. I should have realized that the Nexus One is far more a device than either the Intercept or Hero.

Sucks to be me 8<D

Thanks all!

Tyler

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Sam
    sorry you have had a less-than-stellar experience with android.. mine has been fantastic for me, though i'm on a different carrier and with a different phone (which might be your horsepower issue).

thanks for the kind words, hope to see you back here sometime!

Good luck and godspeed.

I was the one who posted that thread and I didn't predict the fall of the iPhone so much as try to underscore the importance of Flash (whether deservedly or not) in the success of mobile platforms.

I'm sorry you went through so much trouble with both BB and Android phones before settling on a device that works for you. In my case, the EVO has been an exceptional device and is even more so now that it has 2.2 on it.

The palmOS is also an excellent platform, and has its niche market. If you fit into that market, great! Good luck to you.
    I gave my iPhone to my 5 year old and got an EVO.

I'm afraid your making a mistake. But that's just my opinion. One reason Palm was so stable was it, like Apple, was a closed OS. Unlike Android which is based on Open Source Linux. Linux that has been around for eons.

The other reason it is so stable (Palm) is because it isn't doing much. There is no video conferencing app pushing the limits of service and technology, no location based apps, none of the things that are currently driving the mobile device revolution.

I too have the skeletal remains of Palm (Treo), Windows (Treo), Blackberry, and now Android. I almost went iPhone, but for the same reason so many people were drawn to Apple to begin with, I was drawn to the Open Source Linux geek world vs the cool closed corporate behemoth (your holding the dang thing wrong you idiot!).

I'm sorry, but I have to ask what it was that "Android was not ready for you with?" I find it hard to believe the Pre is any more "ready".

danDroid
    Should have waited for the Epic 4G

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by wbpo5l View Post
    I'm afraid your making a mistake. But that's just my opinion. One reason Palm was so stable was it, like Apple, was a closed OS. Unlike Android which is based on Open Source Linux. Linux that has been around for eons.
    Palm's webOS, which is still alive and well (you refer to it in the past tense) is also based on Linux.

The other reason it is so stable (Palm) is because it isn't doing much. There is no video conferencing app pushing the limits of service and technology, no location based apps, none of the things that are currently driving the mobile device revolution.
    I'm afraid that you are deeply misinformed. WebOS has loads of location-based applications like Fandango, Google Maps, Yelp!, and aniWeather, just to name a few. Honestly, I have no need for video conferencing on my phone. Right now it's just a shiny bead.

I too have the skeletal remains of Palm (Treo), Windows (Treo), Blackberry, and now Android. I almost went iPhone, but for the same reason so many people were drawn to Apple to begin with, I was drawn to the Open Source Linux geek world vs the cool closed corporate behemoth (your holding the dang thing wrong you idiot!).
    Yeah, I'm not into the AT&T hegemony either. Besides, I've been with Sprint forever, and have no need to switch.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask what it was that "Android was not ready for you with?" I find it hard to believe the Pre is any more "ready".
    So far my Pre has been stable, reliable, speedy, and extensible. I didn't have to "root" it to install extra stuff, though I did have to install a couple of tools. Android wasn't ready for me because I need a tool which is just that, a tool. Android is more like a toy. It looks neat and works pretty well, but there are things it can't do well because it's a toy, not a tool.

Palm doesn't look at mobile devices in the same way. They looked at the need for webOS as the next step in their journey, much in the same way Apple moved forward with Mac OS X. Sure, they stumbled up front by not offering an SDK, but they had fixed that a long time ago so I haven't noticed the lack.

On both the Intercept and the Hero I worked with a potentially very cool OS which was unstable, sluggish, unresponsive, and frustrating. In general, a mobile phone should do what you tell it to when you tell it. If you want a mobile device which does a lot of stuff, you should get an iPad or one of those upcoming Adam tablets.

I need my phone to work. I have to look up contacts, take notes, look up email, find places, take and make calls, and generally get things done. Half the time I had an Android device, I was fighting with it to get it to do what I needed. With the webOS, I don't have to fight. It simply does.

I'm not watching movies or playing PSX games. I'm just a regular Joe who works in the IT industry. I can't live with a mobile device that has trouble with something as simple as managing its own hardware resources.

The other side of the coin is that I refuse to pay Sprint the Evo 4G tax, and if you think the Epic 4G won't come with the same restrictions and fees, I believe you are in for a big shock. Don't get me wrong, I like Sprint's plans, but I'm not paying an arbitrary tax to anyone.

Finally, this is not a plea to get anyone to jump ship to Palm or any handset maker. You need to stick with what you want and you should never apologize to anyone for your choice. I have a feeling that I'll be returning to the Android camp sometime in the next two years, unless Palm makes some freaking kick ass handset, of course

danDroid
    Honestly, I've never been a Palm user or owned any of their devices. However, now that Palm is owned by HP it will be very interesting to see what happens. I think now that they have big money backing the company, we might see some really good products next year (Phones / Tablets / Etc ).

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links