General Q+A

This is a discussion on General Q+A within the Sprint forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; VF with the hotspot feature you can run up to 8 devices but you have to pay 30$ a month extra. If you only run ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: General Q+A

VF with the hotspot feature you can run up to 8 devices but you have to pay 30$ a month extra. If you only run one computer at a time you can save the 30$ per month with these two choices thats why i was asking.
    If you decide either way they are both easy to do. Let us know which one you want to go with and we can walk you threw it.

Vocabulary 101

LOL!! Still up with Evo at 3:15 am....

I've scanned quickly the replies....need to know, what's

ROOTING??
    Tethering?

froyo?

free wifi tethering app -- does this mean there is something out there to connect to the internet w/Evo for free???? I signed up for the $29.00 hotspot thingie because I want to eliminate my ATT U-Verse internet charge of $47.00/month. I'm *really* interested in this ;D
    Thanks!! Ok, going to read some more...

vf

Metalhead i just tried ET and it shows that i am connected but with no internet access so i'm thinking its not your phone.

Thanks --- I didn't understand some of the terms used, and sent a separate reply asking for definitions.....

Love my Evo!!!! ;D

VF lol thats ok, thats what we're here for.
    Tether is using your phone to gain internet access.
    froyo is just the latest version of the operating system.
    Rooting, well rooting is like jailbreaking your phone. What this does is give you access to change your phone and customize your phone to a greater extent.

Rooting is basically hacking your phone. There are many benefits to doing it like performace gains, free wifi tethering, the ability to do complete backups, etc...

Tethering is just a fancy word for connecting your phone to your computer to share internet. There are three main ways to tether- USB, bluetooth and WiFi.

Froyo is the latest version of the Android OS that's on your phone.

If you hack your phone, you can avoid paying the $30 and also if you are ok with having your phone connected via USB the whole time you can use PDANet or EasyTether. They both have free versions but in order to have complete unrestricted access to the internet you need to pay. I think PDAnet is a one time fee of $30 and EasyTether is a one time fee of $10. I've been using EasyTether for a while and it works great.

Jak- I think my issue lies with HTC Sync because PDAnet didn't work either. I'm about to reinstall Sync and try it again.

edit- Problem solved. After reinstalling HTC Sync EasyTether is working again. Thanks Jak

Quote Originally Posted by jak89 View Post
    VF with the hotspot feature you can run up to 8 devices but you have to pay 30$ a month extra. If you only run one computer at a time you can save the 30$ per month with these two choices thats why i was asking.
    If you decide either way they are both easy to do. Let us know which one you want to go with and we can walk you threw it.
    Jak --

Oh, I'd love to save the $30.00/month charge, ABSOLUTELY!!!! ;D I didn't know there were choices, being such a newbie. So the two choices are 1) Easy Tether, and 2) {PDA net?? Which is best??

OH, just tried the hotspot thing in 3G (Florida) and it was easy, Evo was already configured, and I just clicked on laptop to connect. SIMPLE!! But, if I can connect 2 laptops to the internet w//o paying the $30.00, I want to know!!
    Thanks!
    vf

VF-

PDANet is actually $18, not 30. Sorry for the misinformation. I personally have not used PDANet but EasyTether has been awesome for me and it's only $10. I have never had any issues (until now but it had nothing to with the app). It's very easy to use and very reliable.

If you need to connect both laptops at the same time then you need some sort of WiFi tethering. Rooting your phone will give you that for free. Do me a favor, go to menu> settings> about phone> software information and tell me what it says under Android version. This will determine if you can root or not. If it says 2.1 then you're good to go.

VF easytether and pdanet are almost the same. Easytether is 10$ and pdanet is 18$ (both a one time fee). I personally like pdanet. The drawback is you can only tether on device at a time.

Metalhead did resync work for you?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links