General Q+A

This is a discussion on General Q+A within the Sprint forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Yeah, reinstalling Sync worked. I'm up and running again Have you tried that meCanto app yet? I've been using it all day, it's amazing....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: General Q+A

Yeah, reinstalling Sync worked. I'm up and running again

Have you tried that meCanto app yet? I've been using it all day, it's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
    Rooting is basically hacking your phone. There are many benefits to doing it like performace gains, free wifi tethering, the ability to do complete backups, etc...

Tethering is just a fancy word for connecting your phone to your computer to share internet. There are three main ways to tether- USB, bluetooth and WiFi.

Froyo is the latest version of the Android OS that's on your phone.

If you hack your phone, you can avoid paying the $30 and also if you are ok with having your phone connected via USB the whole time you can use PDANet or EasyTether. They both have free versions but in order to have complete unrestricted access to the internet you need to pay. I think PDAnet is a one time fee of $30 and EasyTether is a one time fee of $10. I've been using EasyTether for a while and it works great.

Jak- I think my issue lies with HTC Sync because PDAnet didn't work either. I'm about to reinstall Sync and try it again.

edit- Problem solved. After reinstalling HTC Sync EasyTether is working again. Thanks Jak
    Ok, with rooting....I got a 2 year contract from Radio Shack for replacement. If I root/hack my Evo, does that void my coverage? Is this rooting a physical hacking?? or a software thing?

Tethering -- basically just connects your computer to a source that can connect to the internet (got it

Froyo - like Windows 7 on my laptop, the operating system???

I just downloaded 2.2 android....this is the operating system? This was easy to do as well...

If I go with Easy Tether or PDAnet....we could only have one laptop connected to the internet at a time? What about speed? Would it be as fast as hotspot speed?
    Thanks ;D
    vf

No i am gonna try it out. I have about 3000 songs in my library and i dont want all of them on my phone. Looks like a sweet alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
    VF-

PDANet is actually $18, not 30. Sorry for the misinformation. I personally have not used PDANet but EasyTether has been awesome for me and it's only $10. I have never had any issues (until now but it had nothing to with the app). It's very easy to use and very reliable.

If you need to connect both laptops at the same time then you need some sort of WiFi tethering. Rooting your phone will give you that for free. Do me a favor, go to menu> settings> about phone> software information and tell me what it says under Android version. This will determine if you can root or not. If it says 2.1 then you're good to go.
    ok, Android version 2.2 - is this not good????
    vf

Rooting is a software thing and it does void your warranty but the beautiful thing about it is you can always flash back to stock if you need to bring your phone in and there's no way to tell if you were once rooted.

If you're on 2.2 then you're going to have to wait until some brilliant hacker figures out how to root it. It will happen soon enough.

2.2 is the operating system, just like Windows is on your computer. It's nickname is Froyo so whenever you see someone mention Froyo, that's what they're refering to.

And yes, only one at a time with either of those apps, which is why I recommend rooting for the free wifi tethering ability. The speed with usb should be just as fast as it is with your wifi hotspot.

Jak- I have no idea how they can offer it for free. Not only does it stream from your desktop, it also uploads all your songs to THEIR servers (albeit very slowly) so once they are all uploaded you don't have to leave your computer on anymore. I must also add the the sound quality is light years better than what I was expecting.

froyo 2.2 is the latest and greatest but it just came out so the hackers have to root this version yet

"Rooting is a software thing and it does void your warranty but the beautiful thing about it is you can always flash back to stock if you need to bring your phone in and there's no way to tell if you were once rooted. "

Thanks...that's awesome!! by flash back to stock, you mean bring it back to how it was set up originally, yes?

Can I go back to 2.1 Froyo or is it to late since I already downloaded 2.2 version??

So, if I root, and do wifi tethering, we'll be able to connect both laptops to the internet?

Hope you don't mind my rephrasing your comments, I want to make sure I'm understanding what you are saying.....

Oh, another question....is there a difference between wifi and hotspot???

Thanks again.....it's great to have you all "out there"....I've already learned so much, wait until I'm a few months out!! LOL!

vf

If you were to root then yes you can run wifi tether and run up to 8.

LOL i dont know how many questions to answer at once. between me and Metalhead you keep getting 2 answers. At least we are consistent lol and two is better then none right.

Victoria give it a few months and you'll be the one answering all the questions

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links