This is a discussion on Newb within the Sprint forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I am trying to move a App called UPM to my sd card on my intercept. This app holds all my usnames and passwords for ...

Thread: Newb

I am trying to move a App called UPM to my sd card on my intercept. This app holds all my usnames and passwords for all my accounts. The problems is..... going to settings to applications to managing will not alloow me to move this app from phone to sd card, but when I open up the app and click on backup, i am told that the backup file already exit on the sd card under, /mnt/sdcard/upm.db. Where do i find this path because when i bring up whats on the sd card UPM or this path is on it. I am new with all this tech that goes alone with these phones so i need some help. Being new at this i hope someone out there understand what i am talking about. HELP!!!!! and thnx

2. is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania, United States
    9 times
    I'm sure someone will be able to address your problem soon so I'll bump it. In the meantime, welcome to the forums!

For starters, I recommend using a file browser that doesn't already come on the phone. More often than not, I find them to be much less than helpful as they seem to only show a few file types. I use Astro personally, but there may be better ones out there.

Second, what the program is saying is that it's already saved a copy of your contacts to the SD card as upm.db in the location /mnt/sdcard. In other words, you should now be free to format the phone or transfer the SD card to a new phone, and download the program again, and then use the app's restore feature to get your contacts back.

EDIT: ok, re-read your apologies for misunderstanding. Not all programs are able to be saved/moved to the SD card. Unfortunately, a lot of that functionality is up to the app creator, who may not want the program to be transferrable, or may not know how to enable such options.

What the app is doing is saving a copy of the data you've stored using it to a seperate location on the SD card so that you can reset the phone or move the card to a different phone, and then all you have to do to get the data back is re-download the program and run the restore option it should have. So short version, the app is saving your contact info, not the whole program itself. Even if it were somehow able to be saved or moved to the sd card, there's no guarantee the program would work very well (or at all) on any new device you may get in the future. As an example, I got the Motorola Droid not long after it came out on Verizon and saved a copy of the visual voicemail app to my sd card. Now, I've just recently switched to Sprint and that program is no longer useful because it will only work on Verizon's network.

Anyway, hope I helped. Good luck :-)
    Last edited by xaelith; 02-26-2012 at 05:45 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links