Gain root access on a LOCKED phone.

This is a discussion on Gain root access on a LOCKED phone. within the Staging forums, part of the Nexus One FAQ & How-To's category; XDA-developers have a tested and confirmed a method to gain root access with a bootloader locked phone. That is root access while preserving your warranty. ...

Thread: Gain root access on a LOCKED phone.

Gain limited root access on a locked phone with FRF85B or FRF83 or FRF72

XDA-developers have a tested and confirmed a method to gain root access with a bootloader locked phone. That is root access while preserving your warranty.

You have to use the android sdk tools (adb, push, etc.), or FRF85B or FRF83 or FRF72 (FRF85B only on ATT), and a small modification to the battery to allow you to insert a sim card. The link has instructions for changing between radio images and links.

After this process you have limited root access, but can flash a fully rooted, odexed stock image or custom ROM like cyanogen.

[Tutorial] Root FRF85B/FRF83/FRF72 (T-Mo/AT&T) Without Unlocking (100% Confirmed) - xda-developers

If you've lost root access after FRF91 upgrade or want to upgrade to stock FRF91 and keep root:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=717870

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

why I don't have froyo yet?

Hmmm...anyone try this yet?
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    I tried it, but didn't test if I had root access. I've manually updated to FRF91 now too, so I'm not sure if I'm rooted still. And I don't know how to really check.

Quote Originally Posted by Abrupt Demise View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    I tried it, but didn't test if I had root access. I've manually updated to FRF91 now too, so I'm not sure if I'm rooted still. And I don't know how to really check.
    LOL. You're not messing with me cuz of my avatar are you?
    Ya I never rooted so I don't know how to check for you. The only thing that I'm interested in rooting is to change the color of the Notification bar.
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Ok, I think FRF91 released today broke this method. It relocked my phone and I can't use the same trick to root it again.

That's what I get for updating before making a backup. I really don't want to unlock my bootloader if I can avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by a.rivera View Post
    why I don't have froyo yet?
    I believe this update only pushed to US carriers, ie ATT and T-mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Abrupt Demise View Post
    Ok, I think FRF91 released today broke this method. It relocked my phone and I can't use the same trick to root it again.
    You can test root access with a market program like tesla flash light. Also, your phone was never unlocked. You only gained limited root access. My list of apps are Titanium backup, setcpu (but you need a custom kernel with new stepping), autokiller, juice defender, and some features of the more advanced file managers.

You can do this with FRF91, but you will have to revert to one of the earlier updates. Here is a link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=717870

If you change your recovery image you will lose the over the air updates. I don't know if you can restore the stock recovery to reenable this afterwards, but I think this defeats the purpose of having limited root access on a stock phone.

I have an unlocked phone so I can't really test any of this.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links