Please help a n00b out - Part Two

This is a discussion on Please help a n00b out - Part Two within the Staging forums, part of the Nexus One FAQ & How-To's category; So, since i posted my original post a few months ago and danger-rat guided me through the rooting/cyanogenmod-installing process, I've gotten a bit more experienced ...

Thread: Please help a n00b out - Part Two

Question Please help a n00b out - Part Two

So, since i posted my original post a few months ago and danger-rat guided me through the rooting/cyanogenmod-installing process, I've gotten a bit more experienced with custom ROM's, kernels, and other fun things. Unfortunately, I still have two n00b problems that I cannot find an answer to.

With many custom roms, the instructions request that your create a certain type of partition on your SD card prior to installation (i.e. ext2, ext3, ext4, etc.). My first problem is - I can't figure out how the hell to do this. I've used both Rom Manager and ClockworkMod to partition my SD card, but never have I seen an option to specify what type of partition to create (only how big of one and how big of a swap file). Am I missing something here? Is something wrong with my SD card, or is this just user error on my part?

My second problem is - after a complete wipe and install of a new ROM (i.e. CM7.0.0 Stable - which is what I'm about to install) - when is the best time to install DTapps2sd? Immediately after installing the new ROM, or after Google attempts to re-download and install all of your old apps? The thing is, if I wait until my phone automatically tries to download all of my apps, I'm fairly certain my phone will run out of internal space before the downloads finish (I have about 140 something apps ). But if I do it immediately after flashing the new ROM, will the apps that my phone automatically downloads be placed on the sd-ext or still be placed on the internal memory? I still don't entirely understand this whole DTapps thing anyway, so if this question seems stupid, please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :nexusx:

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

EDIT:

Sorry, I just realized that this post and my previous older post are in the wrong section of the forum. My fault, should have read the sticky first. If any mods feel like moving my posts to the appropriate section, please do (as I'm not real sure where the appropriate section is myself...)

AmonRa recovery can format SD-ext in different file systems.

Go into RomManager, update ClockWorkMod to 3.0.0.5.
    After CWM is updated, go back to the main RomManager menu, at the bottom, select Flash Alt Recovery, and install RA recovery.
    When you're done, you can just flash back over to CWM.

Cwm formats in ext3, which is sufficient for almost everything.

As noted by Bubba, Amon Ra can change the ext type, if needed.

For flashing DT, I recommend:
    1 - Flash the ROM, gapps if needed, then DT.
    2 - Boot the phone, but skip the sign in screen (when the perverted Android asks you to touch it, instead touch the 4 corners of the screen, starting with top left and going clockwise).
    3 - run the DT script command (a2sd cachesdreset), and the phone will reboot.

I always have Ti backup built in my gapps, so I skip the Google restore and do my own. You can also keep a copy of the Ti backup apk on your SD (if your ROM had a file manager included).

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    Cwm formats in ext3, which is sufficient for almost everything.

As noted by Bubba, Amon Ra can change the ext type, if needed.

For flashing DT, I recommend:
    1 - Flash the ROM, gapps if needed, then DT.
    2 - Boot the phone, but skip the sign in screen (when the perverted Android asks you to touch it, instead touch the 4 corners of the screen, starting with top left and going clockwise).
    3 - run the DT script command (a2sd cachesdreset), and the phone will reboot.

I always have Ti backup built in my gapps, so I skip the Google restore and do my own. You can also keep a copy of the Ti backup apk on your SD (if your ROM had a file manager included).
    Thanks again for the help Danger, you really are a lifesaver.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links