Rooting and unlocking same as "unlocked" version?

This is a discussion on Rooting and unlocking same as "unlocked" version? within the T-Mobile forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I mean i know more things will be possible if you root the phone, but as I consider buying the "unlocked" version of the phone ...

Thread: Rooting and unlocking same as "unlocked" version?

Rooting and unlocking same as "unlocked" version?

I mean i know more things will be possible if you root the phone, but as I consider buying the "unlocked" version of the phone versus on the subsidized version, if I were to root and unlock my N1, would i have all the capabilities of the marketed unlocked phone? Like could I use it on other networks and stuffs?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

no the unlocked handsets mean then are not locked to any particular network like branded phones you can only use them on that network. if you unlocked a locked phone you would just gain access to other networks and nothing more.

Rooting or granting Root (Admin) access to the phone means more controls and power to play with such as coloured trackballs and the almighty NEXUS TORCH lol

so to answer your question an unlocked phone is the same as a locked phone you will just either be locked to the phones network of it may contain bloatware that some brands like to install on their handsets, like branding your pig. rooting the unlocked phone will give you lots more including the option of flashing more features onto the phone
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
    no the unlocked handsets mean then are not locked to any particular network like branded phones you can only use them on that network. if you unlocked a locked phone you would just gain access to other networks and nothing more.

Rooting or granting Root (Admin) access to the phone means more controls and power to play with such as coloured trackballs and the almighty NEXUS TORCH lol

so to answer your question an unlocked phone is the same as a locked phone you will just either be locked to the phones network of it may contain bloatware that some brands like to install on their handsets, like branding your pig. rooting the unlocked phone will give you lots more including the option of flashing more features onto the phone
    Thanks for your detailed reply. Because I'm pretty new at this, I hope you will not mind that I ask a question for clarification. My first concern is that I be able to use the phone on other networks. I'm planning on doing some traveling out of the rather insular country I live in (US), and would like to buy a simcard and prepaid service at my destination. So if I buy the subsidized N1, I could "unlock" it myself at use on the foreign network? And further, if I want to do this, must I also root it?

If you are planning on travelling and so using different sim cards in the different areas then you would need to either buy the unlocked version or unlock the subsidized version, unlocking is not the same as rooting, rooting gives you admin access whilst unlocking breaks the lock that the network has on the phone giving you the option of bouncing between different networks. i am not sure but i think you can just unlock the subbed nexus without rooting.

Unlock and Root a Nexus One - Nexus one - Lifehacker

This site offers a guide for unlocking and then rooting the nexus, i guess you could use the guide to unlock the phone and then just ignore the rooting process altogether.

**Actually i have been searching around and i am not sure that the nexus is even locked to start with, it could be that you would not need to do anything to the subsidized version for it to work on other networks, i am not sure as i have the no contract version here in the UK and it bounces between the different networks for the best signal**
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/