3G at Edge Speeds?

This is a discussion on 3G at Edge Speeds? within the T-Mobile forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Just purchased a Nexus One with T-Mobile. I am sitting here in my living room testing my Nexus One on T-Mobile 3G with my iPhone ...

Thread: 3G at Edge Speeds?

3G at Edge Speeds?

Just purchased a Nexus One with T-Mobile. I am sitting here in my living room testing my Nexus One on T-Mobile 3G with my iPhone 3G (Not 3GS) also running on 3G. My iPhone is achieving download speeds that are over twice as fast as the Nexus One. In fact the Nexus One, though I have solid 3G coverage here, is downloading at Edge speeds?

What is going on here?

Do t-Mobile's 3G speeds suck everywhere or I am just experiencing a bad area?

I thought T-mobile had completed their 7.2Mb rollout??

Help!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by skdyer View Post
    Just purchased a Nexus One with T-Mobile. I am sitting here in my living room testing my Nexus One on T-Mobile 3G with my iPhone 3G (Not 3GS) also running on 3G. My iPhone is achieving download speeds that are over twice as fast as the Nexus One. In fact the Nexus One, though I have solid 3G coverage here, is downloading at Edge speeds?

What is going on here?

Do t-Mobile's 3G speeds suck everywhere or I am just experiencing a bad area?

I thought T-mobile had completed their 7.2Mb rollout??

Help!
    I get around 600-800 mbps download speed average. On some bad days I have seen 200-300 mbps. I don't know where you heard that from but last time I checked, they have just finished the 7.2mbps in MAJOR cities. I think they are more concentrated on the 3.5g thing called HSPA+ or something like that.
    Froyo 2.2 Stock
    RA-nexus-v1.7.0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I guess the other question is on which 3G are you testing your iPhone?

My AT&T Nexus One 3G speeds are about 2x of what my T-Mobile Nexus One 3G speeds were. That's one of the reasons I went ahead and kept the AT&T Nexus One and sold the T-Mobile Nexus One.

Also, which app are you using? I noticed the servers for SpeedTest.Net are local on AT&T and were sometimes very remote on T-Mobile.

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

UPDATE - I've now tested the phone in a number of other locations throughout Minneapolis and there are areas where I can get BLAZING fast speeds, much faster than my iPhone 3G. I hit 2059 kbps this morning on the bus to work. I went into settings and sure enough that is because it was running on HDSPA as opposed to standard UTMS 3G. So this also validates that T-Mobile has rolled out HDSPA even in smaller markets like mine.

Here in Vegas around the strip and convention center area, I hit over 3700 down and over 1300 up! Outside of that area and a small area in the NW, I hit 400-600 up and 700 down. Weird in the slow areas my down is faster than my up most of the time.

On speedtest.net make sure your selecting a server closest to you.
    Nexus S
    HTC HD7
    Galaxy Tab

I've been hiting anywhere from 4-5mb in Kansas city

rooted Nexus S 4G

The first compares Edge with a 3G service, which is what the primary concern is.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links