am i getting internet for free?

This is a discussion on am i getting internet for free? within the T-Mobile forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; first off, im on a family plan. i have had this sim card since 2003 or 2004. i signed up for tmo's $4.99 internet years ...

Thread: am i getting internet for free?

am i getting internet for free?

first off, im on a family plan. i have had this sim card since 2003 or 2004. i signed up for tmo's $4.99 internet years ago with a non smart phone. we changed our plan a while back and im not sure if we dropped the internet or what, but its not showing up on our billing or on tmo's website when i go to my account/billing/etc. i used edge on my old phone for a long time with no problems. i got the nexus one yesterday bc the other phone crapped out. i got this phone out of contract so i could stay with the family plan. now, right out of the box the internet worked. i never received a prompt or anything like ive read on other threads to make me purchase internet. the apn is currently set to epc.tmobile.com. the thing is, the phone has the 3g logo on when im browsing but when i use speedtest.net's app to test the speed i get 400kbps down, 70kbps up. does it say 3g when its really edge or something? and am i getting internet for free??? any help or insight is appreciated.

edit: i looked into every months billing charge for the past year and under data for my line is says N/A. i am baffled.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Are you on WiFi?

Hope you not being charged per kb

Wifi is disabled. I used wap on my old phone no problem and my billing shows NA under data charges for the past year. I'm just curious how this could have gone unnoticed for so long.

Well, if you figure out the secret, let us know!!!

On non-smart phones, many folks who paid for TZones and then removed or changed plans reported they still could use TZones with no additional fees. On smartphones, however, TMO will see (their servers) the IMEI number in their logs, and will charge the account...before this happens, you typically get an SMS from TMO, or an error when you attempt to use the browser/data service, as the server had ID'd your account. Those prompts usually tells you to call 611 and add the android data plan...if you refuse, they simply block data on that IMEI. Enjoy it while you got it.

thanks. thats seems very logical. i still havent received the prompt.. i hope i never do LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    On non-smart phones, many folks who paid for TZones and then removed or changed plans reported they still could use TZones with no additional fees. On smartphones, however, TMO will see (their servers) the IMEI number in their logs, and will charge the account...before this happens, you typically get an SMS from TMO, or an error when you attempt to use the browser/data service, as the server had ID'd your account. Those prompts usually tells you to call 611 and add the android data plan...if you refuse, they simply block data on that IMEI. Enjoy it while you got it.
    I was beating myself up over signing up for the $40/mo data only plan and learning later on about the TZones thinking that I got ripped off. I've been looking desperately for a way to cancel my contract without an ETF so that I could set up a new contract with minutes and TZones for cheaper... BUT, if TMobile will force me to get an android data plan anyways I'll just stick with my $40/mo data only plan making calls through SIPagent/Gizmo. Thanks for the info, you made me feel a lot better about my choice

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousfob View Post
    first off, im on a family plan. i have had this sim card since 2003 or 2004. i signed up for tmo's $4.99 internet years ago with a non smart phone. we changed our plan a while back and im not sure if we dropped the internet or what, but its not showing up on our billing or on tmo's website when i go to my account/billing/etc. i used edge on my old phone for a long time with no problems. i got the nexus one yesterday bc the other phone crapped out. i got this phone out of contract so i could stay with the family plan. now, right out of the box the internet worked. i never received a prompt or anything like ive read on other threads to make me purchase internet. the apn is currently set to epc.tmobile.com. the thing is, the phone has the 3g logo on when im browsing but when i use speedtest.net's app to test the speed i get 400kbps down, 70kbps up. does it say 3g when its really edge or something? and am i getting internet for free??? any help or insight is appreciated.
    edit: i looked into every months billing charge for the past year and under data for my line is says N/A. i am baffled.

I am in the same boat as you (Original Poster). I too signed up with TMO way back in '03. I have never signed up for any data plan. I have always had unlocked phones that I'd bought from overseas and they have never known what phone I use... only sometimes when I'd call in to have them send me their settings to any new phone I had.

On their website under my account I would always select my device as type 'unknown' I have an individual plan and recently I was upgraded to their loyalty plan with unlimited minutes for $49/month. I've always had their data on my phone via wap.voicestream.com on my recent 2G smartphones without seeing any data charges...

I thought this would all change once I got the Nexus one but even still since getting my Nexus on Jan. 10 I have yet to see any data charges. Everybody tells me that sooner or later I will see a charge but it looks like it just won't happen. My online account is showing tons of data being used but it always says $0.

I really do believe its something to do with older sim cards... I believe the newer ones have something tell tale about them vs the older ones...

Just be happy as I am and try and not to contact TMO about it and all should be good!

STOP and read this

Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    I was beating myself up over signing up for the $40/mo data only plan and learning later on about the TZones thinking that I got ripped off. I've been looking desperately for a way to cancel my contract without an ETF so that I could set up a new contract with minutes and TZones for cheaper... BUT, if TMobile will force me to get an android data plan anyways I'll just stick with my $40/mo data only plan making calls through SIPagent/Gizmo. Thanks for the info, you made me feel a lot better about my choice
    The thing abotu the T-Moible plans is this... If you purchased your Nexus One on ebay or without a contract you can get a month to month unlimitted text, talk, and web for $79.99.. however if you get it with a contract your bill will be $99.99 per month.. Goto www.tmobile.com and try it your self. Choose any of the phones with data and then checkout with the data plans and unlimitted more and you will see.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links