Roaming Charge for NOT Answering

This is a discussion on Roaming Charge for NOT Answering within the T-Mobile forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Recently I was in Montreal, Canada, and when there I didn't answer my phone. When I saw my bill I discovered I was charged each ...

Thread: Roaming Charge for NOT Answering

Roaming Charge for NOT Answering

Recently I was in Montreal, Canada, and when there I didn't answer my phone. When I saw my bill I discovered I was charged each time I didn't answer. A roaming and a long distance charge.

I guess they were charging me to forward to Google Voice.

Did this happen because I dragged the "don't answer" thingie? Could I have waited it until it turned into a "no answer" and avoided the charges? Clearly if I turned off my phone's radio I wouldn't get charged, but do I have to do this before I cross the border? Could I avoid the charge by switching to T-Mobile's voice mail before I leave?

Thanks,

-kb

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Sounds similar to what we have in Europe. If you cancel an incoming call then you get charged for the divert to voicemail even if the caller does not leave a message.

I advise people to turn off the forwarding before leaving their home country

Who Charges?

But who charges? I can see that if my home carrier charges for the forward that it would still charge when I am roaming, but how does the roaming carrier get in on the act for my not answering a call?

Does it matter whether I refuse the call or just let it ring?

-kb

It's got to be because of forwarding because that's typically considered air time. A call sent your carrier's voicemail should not incur charges regardless if it gets sent there by you pressing "don't answer" or waiting for the ringer to time out. However, it doesn't surprise me that forwarding to another service costs...

Woah! I guess it's a good thing I read this before preparing for a trip over to Europe! Prepping for barista lessons and wanted to have my phone ready for the 3-day convention.

Here's my experience with this on Rogers in Canada. I travel to the US frequently and all unanswered calls are forwarded to my work VM system (I don't use the carrier's VM at all). Also, this is without call forwarding on my plan.

If I'm NOT roaming and don't answer a call and it forwards to my work VM, I'm charged at flat rate ($0.10 per minute) for the forward.

If I'm roaming and don't answer a call and it forwards to my work VM, I'm charged a flat rate ($0.10 per minute) + long distance call rates for the duration of the call!

:mad: A rip-off to say the least!!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links