Using 3G without a plan for extra charge?

This is a discussion on Using 3G without a plan for extra charge? within the T-Mobile forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Hey guys, I got a question about the plans. This fairly confused me, but eventually I came to the conclusion that no, I cannot use ...

Thread: Using 3G without a plan for extra charge?

Using 3G without a plan for extra charge?

Hey guys, I got a question about the plans. This fairly confused me, but eventually I came to the conclusion that no, I cannot use 3G without the absurd $30 data plan.

But the thing is, I don't want to pay $30 per month - that's a lot, (Oh and btw I'm on a family plan, with 400 texts or something I think, which costs me only $5 extra), and I know I won't be using internet enough to be worth $30.

But in the case of an emergency and there's no wifi available, I wanted to know if I'm able to somehow force 3G on and get charged for it per minute, or however they do it, rather than a stable $30 per month. I know it won't be expensive, but considering I'll probably only have to do this every so often, I'm pretty sure if there's a way to use it without a plan and get charged extra, I wouldn't surpass $30.

So yeah, can I do that? All help appreciated, thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Sorry for the bump, but, anyone?

As far as I know, You cannot force 3G unless you have a Data Plan. I'm not sure if TMO offers data plans based on usage. Have you asked TMO?
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Nope, I was assuming someone here would know.

if you are using the full retail priced nexus one from the google website, Any data plan will give you 3g speeds. If you are using the nexus from tmobile themselves, you would need to have a $30 android plan.
    iphoneeee killaaaaaaaaaa :nexusx:

I bought it on eBay from some guy in New Mexico who was moving carriers. He got it from T-Mobile I think. I'm not sure if it's unlocked, if not, not sure if I can unlock it? Hadn't looked into it since it's on T-Mobile anyway and that's what I have.

what data plan do you have? What OS are you on? are there any msg's displayed when trying to browse the internet? Your 3g speed has nothing to do with the device being unlocked or not.

I brought mines off ebay also. But he stated it was the google version with tmobile hardware specs.

btw. i just read your first post. I think tmobile has a pay per usage plan. But it could add up and you might end up spending more then the $30 monthly.

I doubt I'd use it that much... I use the default Android OS. And I have some family plan, no data plan at all. Also I've always used WiFi to browse the internet on it, so no messages in regards to 3G come up. I think I saw the 3G icon appear once... I also went through the FAQ that forces 3G and cuts off Edge just to make sure Edge doesn't pop up and charge me unnecessarily, because I remember it would do that on my old phone, not sure if I got charged though but I had to quickly go and manually disable it.

I guess I'll have to go and ask Tmobile. Thanks.

Litos please post what happens when you talk to TM. I just got an iphone 4 from my employer with a free data plan. I'm planning on cancelling my TM data plan and tethering the iphone to my N1 for the times I need internet access. So the 3G question intriques me. My question is: do you really need 3G if you don't have a data plan?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links