Prepaid + 3G Data?

This is a discussion on Prepaid + 3G Data? within the T-Mobile forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Hi, guys, I am currently using my N1 with AT&T prepaid plan, which really sucks. Since most of time I am using my phone at ...

Thread: Prepaid + 3G Data?

Prepaid + 3G Data?

Hi, guys,

I am currently using my N1 with AT&T prepaid plan, which really sucks.
    Since most of time I am using my phone at where WIFI service is available but I recently discovered that sometimes I really want to have a DATA service while I am away from WIFI coverage areas.

So, I am looking for a minimum Data plan which could add to my prepaid phone service (I don't make a phone call very much and really hate to be under contract.).

Does T-Mobile have a Data Plan which can be added to the prepaid plan?
    I found that $59.99 which includes 500 min+ unlimited Text + Data. Sounds good but I don't use SMS at all.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The $60 plan is post-paid, not prepaid.

The latest gossip is that TMobile will be coming out with prepaid data plans on October 18. The terms I have seen so far are not too attractive, but I'm curious about the "daypass" option for $1.50. If it's 10MB, I'll use it. If it's 1 MB, it's useless and I'll keep using my prepaid ATT at 2G speeds.

hey man i hear you.

I have an att prepaid plan. I have the $1 plan and it works for me. I hardly ever call anybody or receive any calls. I use Google Voice and I have given my GV number to everyone. I don't even remember my ATT number. GV redirect my calls to Sipgate and I usually answer or make calls from the PC using Gmail or X-Lite.
    However, when I'm away from my desk and I need to make a call, or someone important on my GV contacts wants to call me, the call gets directed to my ATT number and BAM! I get charged.
    One more thing, $0.20 per SMS is just outrageous. So I also use GV to text. I had no other choice to buy the monthly $20 / miserable 100MB data plan and since GV does not allow me to text to other countries I also had to buy the monthly $5 / 200 SMS plan

In summary I spend $25 per month on data/sms and $25 every 3 months for the $1 prepaid plan, so like a little over $8 per month if I play it right and don't use the phone to make calls only when really really necessary. So thats $33 / month instead of a 2 year contract with 450 minutes / 200 MB Data / 200 SMS for $60.

I tried the $1.49 web daypass today with my T-mobile prepaid SIM card. It worked fine, switching to 3G when available. Except for one issue, this is an ideal solution for me.

The issue is that I can't find a way to get this daypass via my N1. I have to insert the SIM card into a non-smart phone and buy the daypass from the t-zones menu, then re-insert the SIM card back into the N1.

I can't find anyplace to buy the daypass on my.t-mobile.com. Anybody have any ideas?

Answered my own question:

If you have a prepaid T-mobile SIM with no operational data plan, the first time you try to use your browser over cellular you will be directed to a page that gives you the option of buying a $1.49 daypass. ("Unlimited" data)

Because this opens up 3G access when I need it, it is a game changer for me.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links