Because I'm tired of paying $200 a month....

This is a discussion on Because I'm tired of paying $200 a month.... within the T-Mobile forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I've sold my HTC Evo--ETF and all--and now am phone-less (which is obviously not going to fly long-term). I was looking at getting an iPod ...

Thread: Because I'm tired of paying $200 a month....

Because I'm tired of paying $200 a month....

I've sold my HTC Evo--ETF and all--and now am phone-less (which is obviously not going to fly long-term).

I was looking at getting an iPod Touch (bleh), because my primary needs for my phone are rss reading, twitter, apps and email, with some light texting and phone use (but very little phone use), and wi-fi only, while not ideal, is workable for me (I have a wi-fi signal available 99% of the time). So, I looked at cheap pre-paid phone like HTC Comet (love Android, so would prefer to stick with that), but then I found out that Nexus One, being a GSM phone, can be used with pre-paid SIM card activation kit from T-Mobile, and I'll be up and running (albeit paying per min/text).

So, a few questions to clarify what I've read on here over the last couple of days:

1. When on wi-fi, I can browse the web, update apps, send/receive email, etc.?

2. T-Mobile doesn't allow data plans w/pre-paid?

3. While #2 sort of sucks, it also keeps me from incurring any data fees, which means I'll have a $0 phone bill unless I text or call, correct?

4. Are there apps via which I can text or call for free over wi-fi (like Line2 for the iPod Touch)?

5. I'm likely going to buy a used Nexus One. I've read about the power button issue. Any other issue I should be aware of, especially if I buy used?

6. Anything else I'm not considering?

This forum is awesome. I look forward to becoming part of the community here when/if I get a Nexus One.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by blitzmr2 View Post
    I've sold my HTC Evo--ETF and all--and now am phone-less (which is obviously not going to fly long-term).

I was looking at getting an iPod Touch (bleh), because my primary needs for my phone are rss reading, twitter, apps and email, with some light texting and phone use (but very little phone use), and wi-fi only, while not ideal, is workable for me (I have a wi-fi signal available 99% of the time). So, I looked at cheap pre-paid phone like HTC Comet (love Android, so would prefer to stick with that), but then I found out that Nexus One, being a GSM phone, can be used with pre-paid SIM card activation kit from T-Mobile, and I'll be up and running (albeit paying per min/text).

So, a few questions to clarify what I've read on here over the last couple of days:

1. When on wi-fi, I can browse the web, update apps, send/receive email, etc.?

2. T-Mobile doesn't allow data plans w/pre-paid?

3. While #2 sort of sucks, it also keeps me from incurring any data fees, which means I'll have a $0 phone bill unless I text or call, correct?

4. Are there apps via which I can text or call for free over wi-fi (like Line2 for the iPod Touch)?

5. I'm likely going to buy a used Nexus One. I've read about the power button issue. Any other issue I should be aware of, especially if I buy used?

6. Anything else I'm not considering?

This forum is awesome. I look forward to becoming part of the community here when/if I get a Nexus One.
    Well to start I would like to welcome you to the forum

Now to answer your questions
    1. Yes you can
    2. I am in Canada so couldn`t tell you
    3. Well if you get prepaid then you never pay unless you add time an texts into your phone.
    4. Since you want to make t-mo your provider I will guess you are in the
    Us so there is Google voice for that.
    5. Well there are a few conmen issues like touch screen being unresponsive but this is rather rare and resolved rather simply if you browse the forum you will probably find them but most of them have been resolved in past updates.
    6. No I think you have it pretty much covered the only thing I would like to point out is that the nexus S the nexus one`s successor will be coming out soon so you may want to get that because it may be easier to track down when it comes out and it will be unlocked as well.

Thanks for the response.

"Unlocked" meaning I can use it on multiple carriers (that support GSM/SIM card phones)?

I am in U.S., but I am open-minded carrier-wise. I've just been happy in the past with T-mobile. If there are better options carrier-wise for what I'm wanting, I'm all ears.

I've looked at everything from simplemobile and Virgin to Cricket and GoPhone. The bottom line is I don't want to pay out the ears when 92% of what I use the phone for I can get on a wi-fi signal.

"Unlocked" meaning I can use it on multiple carriers (that support GSM/SIM card phones)?
    Yes that is what it meas.

As for cariers in the us I can`t help you with that cause once again I live in Canada sorry.

A little more info:

2) T-Mobile prepaid now allows you to buy a 24 hour "unlimited" data daypass for $1.50. You are given this opportunity when you try to access the web via cellular data.

4) You'll need a SIP client, such as Sipdroid, and a SIP account. Alternatively, you can use Skype.

6) AT&T has a prepaid offering, with optional data packages

Thanks for the response, David.

Is it correct that only certain Nexus One phones operate correctly on AT&T 3G?

And otherwise, provided I have a GSM/SIM phone, I could take a Nexus One to either carrier?

My experience with AT&T in the past has been less than positive, but I want to consider all of my options here.

Thanks for the response, David.

Is it correct that only certain Nexus One phones operate correctly on AT&T 3G?

And otherwise, provided I have a GSM/SIM phone, I could take a Nexus One to either carrier?

My experience with AT&T in the past has been less than positive, but I want to consider all of my options here.
    1) Yes, my phone has T-Mobile 3G and AT&T Edge. Other N1 versions are the opposite. That being said, either coverage may be iffy at any given location.

2) Yes, with possible data rate restrictions. I use an ATT prepaid SIM card most of the time - the local signal is strong and Edge is sufficient for email. I use T-Mobile prepaid with a daypass when I'm spending time in an area with strong cellular signal and no wifi. Both numbers ring through Google Voice when my GV number is dialed.

Is it correct that only certain Nexus One phones operate correctly on AT&T 3G?.
    Yes the difference is that you will only have edge data speed instead of 3g data speed. But if you only use it with Wi-Fi like you said it doesn`t change much. I am living proof of this I have a t-mo nexus one and I use it on Fido.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links