Is the N1 on T-Mobile a world phone

This is a discussion on Is the N1 on T-Mobile a world phone within the T-Mobile forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I need to use the phone (Voice & Data) in Europe and India. Can I do this with N1 on T-Mobile or N1 on ATT?...

Thread: Is the N1 on T-Mobile a world phone

Is the N1 on T-Mobile a world phone

I need to use the phone (Voice & Data) in Europe and India. Can I do this with N1 on T-Mobile or N1 on ATT?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mapexvenus View Post
    I need to use the phone (Voice & Data) in Europe and India. Can I do this with N1 on T-Mobile or N1 on ATT?
    You should be able to, I was able to simply insert a Costa Rican SIM card and have it work in mine. I did not test data though, but the WiFi obviously worked.

The data though works with AT&T just not at 3G speeds, it works with Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    You should be able to, I was able to simply insert a Costa Rican SIM card and have it work in mine. I did not test data though, but the WiFi obviously worked.

Thank you for your response. I should be able to use roaming in Europe and India without needing a SIM card from a local provider, right?

bmo

Thank you for your response. I should be able to use roaming in Europe and India without needing a SIM card from a local provider, right?

The T-Mobile Sim will work in Europe (i havent tried in india) but be ready to pay a premium for it. I am also not sure about data, but my guess is that it would work but cost a lot also. Your cheapest option is the foreign sim card but the ones I got were all just voice and text, never looked for one with data. I did this in Portugal, Spain, Italy, Germany, and the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by bmo View Post

The T-Mobile Sim will work in Europe (i havent tried in india) but be ready to pay a premium for it. I am also not sure about data, but my guess is that it would work but cost a lot also. Your cheapest option is the foreign sim card but the ones I got were all just voice and text, never looked for one with data. I did this in Portugal, Spain, Italy, Germany, and the Netherlands
    OK. Then I guess I will be getting myself a N1 on T-Mobile. Anyone know how long it will take to receive my device if I order today?

bmo
    well, to be clear, if you get a subsidized phone with Tmobile, you will be unable to use foreign sim cards. if you get an unlocked phone and then get a tmobile plan for it, you retain the option of using foreign sims.

either way though you should be able to use the tmobile service overseas if youre willing to pay the price for it.

well, to be clear, if you get a subsidized phone with Tmobile, you will be unable to use foreign sim cards. if you get an unlocked phone and then get a tmobile plan for it, you retain the option of using foreign sims.

either way though you should be able to use the tmobile service overseas if youre willing to pay the price for it.
    Thank you - that is a lot clearer. Can I buy a subsidized phone now and pay to have it unlocked later?

bmo

Thank you - that is a lot clearer. Can I buy a subsidized phone now and pay to have it unlocked later?
    later...yes. but only like 2 yrs later. the real answer is no (i think). I have had tmobile give me unlock codes for free for my old phone i had with them, but that was because i was done with my 2yr contract with them.

There is always the option to root the phone or unlock it in some other warranty-voiding manner. Before taking drastic steps, though, I would check out this other thread about the costs of the 2 options.

I dont think tmobile "sells" the unlocking of their phones.

Guy

Actually, I saw a video stating that the N1 you get with the T-Mobile plan comes unlocked... He tested it by putting his AT&T sim card from his iPhone in. Now it could have been faked, but I don't think it was.
    Follow me at @Burlyskink
    Want a Lockerz invite? PM me

bmo
    thats pretty cool then, if they are unlocked regardless.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links