UMA Calling...

This is a discussion on UMA Calling... within the T-Mobile forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Hello all... I am currently using a BBerry with T-Mobile. One of the features I have and enjoy is the ability to make calls and ...

Thread: UMA Calling...

UMA Calling...

Hello all... I am currently using a BBerry with T-Mobile. One of the features I have and enjoy is the ability to make calls and send SMS via UMA (a.k.a. Wi-Fi Calling).

Is such a feature available on the Nexus?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

As much as I hate that it's not...

No, there is no UMA calling on the N1.

Wait so you cannot use wifi to make a call? I used the Blackberry when I went to South America and shut the radio portion off and left WiFi on. I was able to connect to the internet via WiFi and send receive messages. Of course, doing this allows you to make calls anywhere in the world and not get charged roaming or international prices because you are using the Tmo servers and services through the internet. This was called UMA calling and used your local minutes.

You are saying the Nexus one cannot make a call solely using WiFi? Is there an area to shut the radio off and only leave the WiFi on?

I see people are trying to use skype or some other service to make VOIP calls. I will find out tomorrow as I will be getting one.

Well it seems that you cant use UMA. Sucks bubble butt. Maybe there will be an app somewhere to fix this. Maybe an app to control your radio so u can turn it on and off whenever you like? I tried Truphone and its a bit on the glitchy side, you have to be right on top of the WiFi in order for it to work clear. Just watch out with your settings cause you can get charged for a call. They give you 50 cents to play with.

Actually you can turn off the radio. It requires a series of keystrokes though. Just do the following to turn it off or on

1. Go to Phone
    2. Type *#*#4636#*#* (I know, it's weird)
    3. In the Testing screen that pops up select Phone Information
    4. Scroll down and choose turn off radio. To turn it back on just do same but select turn on radio.

Sponsored Links