International data roaming

This is a discussion on International data roaming within the T-Mobile forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Does T-Mobile have an option for pre-purchasing a block of data for international roaming so you don't have to pay the normal extortionate rate for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: International data roaming

International data roaming

Does T-Mobile have an option for pre-purchasing a block of data for international roaming so you don't have to pay the normal extortionate rate for data? (Last time I was in Germany a friend had done that with AT&T for his iPhone so we could use Google maps and such. I don't know what he paid for it, though.) Are there any other less-expensive strategies apart from finding wifi hotspots for data access in Europe with a U.S. T-Mobile phone?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I'm wondering the same thing. We're going to Ireland next month and I'd like to use Google Maps as we drive around (as well as to surf the Net, etc while we're over there).

So far what I've seen from T-Mobile is that it's $15/MB to sync data while abroad. That's not going to work...

Right now I'm looking for a pre-paid sim of some sort that will give me data access... I've seen plenty of cards that give calls and text for a reasonable amount (50 Euros or less). But I haven't found one with data yet.

Anyone else have a better thought?

I'm looking to travel to Europe later5 this summer and want to use my phone as well. And was hoping to have a data and call sim card. Would Google Voice still work? If the sim card has a different number and I register it?

Looking too.

So far I have found that Passport International Sim cards will get you down to $2.50/MB in many European countries . Better but still pretty steep.

I just came back from a trip in Hong Kong and China. In both places, I went to local 7/11 convenient store to buy a prepaid sim card. The one in HK is about US$10 unlimited 2G for a month. In China, it's about $0.8 per 50MB. That's not bad at all. However, 3G is very expensive.

I also brought with me my MagicJack and a cheap $10 phone plug to it. When I got back to the hotel, I can make calls to the US all free.

I don't know why anyone would want to roam when anyone can do what lunchbox just described...

Just go to any convenience store and pick up a local sim card. Thats the best part about this phone is that its UNLOCKED!

I have about 5 different sim cards from all over and it works just fine. Calls back to the USA are around 6 cents/minute

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksonj51 View Post
    I don't know why anyone would want to roam when anyone can do what lunchbox just described...

Just go to any convenience store and pick up a local sim card. Thats the best part about this phone is that its UNLOCKED!

I have about 5 different sim cards from all over and it works just fine. Calls back to the USA are around 6 cents/minute
    I'm heading to Shanghai at the end of March... I've never been there before (or anywhere out of the country with the exception of Mexico, Bermuda, Tahiti and Canada) so do you have any suggestions going about this? When I get there just buy any card and I'm good to go for data? How is a phone number assigned to it?

For data that is great but what about calls to the US?

Unlimited data roaming

iPhoneTrip - Rent iPhone and Travel Smart appears to sell Sims with unlimited data access for $79/Week. Their web site is not very descriptive about what the options are among their different service levels.

After poking on the site for a while and chatting with their support the prices appear to be on a per weekly basis:
    $79 < 2weeks <= $71 < 4weeks <= $59
    You pay from the day after they send it till you put it back in the mail. Shipping is $12 round trip.
    Days are charged roughly at 1/7th the weekly rate. It is unlimited data usage with a few free minutes of talk time and then an expensive talk plan ($1.68/minute).

You can look for "China Mobile" store. Their 2G data + voice is pretty cheap. Get a RMB $100 sim card. $50 will be used to open a new phone number. Then $15 for 50MB data. and $0.03 per min voice. I bought an additional $50 recharge card. When I left, I still have $45 left. That includes the 20MB to 30MB OTA Android update that was downloaded.

I also need data on my Nexus One for mostly Italy (3 week vacation)...some time in France and Switzerland also. Don't care too much about talk time, but I need data for directions, google map. Also, I need the aps I installed...have all my vacation plans, currency converters, language translation aps, etc... I need data for these aps to work, don't I? Actually, will any/ or all of my aps work with the international Simm cards? Please advise best plan for me to pursue and set up!!! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links