Question about ETF

This is a discussion on Question about ETF within the T-Mobile forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Google's fee for early cancellation is named something along the lines of "Equipment Recovery Fee" and was lowered to $150 if I'm not mistaken. T-mobile ...

Thread: Question about ETF

Question about ETF

Google's fee for early cancellation is named something along the lines of "Equipment Recovery Fee" and was lowered to $150 if I'm not mistaken. T-mobile charges $200 for an early termination fee.

My main question is...does Google charge you $150 and also "recover" the "equipment" as in...they're going to want the NX1 back on top of the $150 and the $200 from T-mobile?

Or can I pay Google $150 and pay T-Mobile $200 and keep my phone to do as I please? I've gone two billing cycles on the NX1 subsidized plan since I purchased it from Google on Jan. 5th, so I'm way past the 14 day period and way under the 120 day period.

I haven't gone anywhere near 500 minutes since I've gotten this phone. My friends and family are T-mobile subscribers and I also carry a business phone which is where I do a majority of my talking.

I think I'd rather eat the fees and go on the Even More Plus 500 talk/text/web for $59.99 if thats possible.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by wninja View Post
    Google's fee for early cancellation is named something along the lines of "Equipment Recovery Fee" and was lowered to $150 if I'm not mistaken. T-mobile charges $200 for an early termination fee.

My main question is...does Google charge you $150 and also "recover" the "equipment" as in...they're going to want the NX1 back on top of the $150 and the $200 from T-mobile?

Or can I pay Google $150 and pay T-Mobile $200 and keep my phone to do as I please? I've gone two billing cycles on the NX1 subsidized plan since I purchased it from Google on Jan. 5th, so I'm way past the 14 day period and way under the 120 day period.

I haven't gone anywhere near 500 minutes since I've gotten this phone. My friends and family are T-mobile subscribers and I also carry a business phone which is where I do a majority of my talking.

I think I'd rather eat the fees and go on the Even More Plus 500 talk/text/web for $59.99 if thats possible.
    I have Unlimited Loyalty plan with T-mobile. But they wouldn't let me buy a phone with a 2 year contract, not even if I wanted to start a new line. And I didn't want to shell out $529 for a phone, so I bought the phone through my wife by starting a new contract under her name. When I got the phone, I tried to cancel the texting plan for 9.99 because I had Google Voice for free texting. They wouldn't let me. Said it was part of the contract that I kept my Unlimited data and text for 2 years. I did some calculations and realized that I would be paying way more than the subsidized amount of $350 during the life of the 2 year contract. And since I already have a great plan with T-mobile, I decided to cancel my wife's 2 year contract. Because I was within the 14 days buyer's remorse period with T-mobile, they allowed me to cancel my contract without paying the 2 year early termination fee. I paid a total of $55 dollars for activation and prorated amount on my plan (since you passed, I guess that doesn't pertain to you). Under Terms of Sale with Google, it states that if you cancelled the service contract with T-mobile, they have a right to charge you originally $350, now $150 for a "Equipment Recovery Fee". This fees is paid because they get a 'kick-back' of sorts subsidized by the mobile company, and they pass that savings on to you. But if you do not see the contract through the full term, then Google will not see that money, and would be out that money because they 'fronted to you', so they wrote in the contract that they can collect it directly from the credit card you bought the phone with. You do not have to return the phone so long as you understand that you will be hit with the fee. It has been close to 5 weeks, and I have yet to see the charge on my credit card, but I am waiting for it. Once you pay for those fees, then you are FREE!!! Out of contract and free to do as you please!!!

I moved from ATT iphone 3gs to t-mobile with the nexus one. I had to cancel my ATT contract ($140) and purchased the N1 unlocked for 566 with tax. I had 18 months left on my ATT contract. Doing the maths it was still cheaper to cancel and pay the ETF than to stay withh ATT. My plan with ATT was $80 a month with tax and tmobile $60 a month with tax. Thats a difference of $360 over the next 18 months. Plus I can always downgrade my t-mobile plan to only minutes if I want.

Question about EFT or ERF

@wninja:
    The term "recovery" refers to the cost (due to a discount) not the actual equipment. So, if you paid $179 for the N1 with a 2-yr T-Mobile contract, you will pay Google $150 making the price of the phone $329, if you paid $279 under the same terms, a $50 ERF would be charged making your phone cost $329. This is is charged if you cancel before 120 days.
    Canceling your service plan : Returns and warranty - Nexus One Help

I found all this information off the google support site. I hope you check it out to make a sound decision before cancelling.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links