configuring N1 with tmo's $10 unlimited web for phone service

This is a discussion on configuring N1 with tmo's $10 unlimited web for phone service within the T-Mobile forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Mea culpa! I was too quick to point the finger at the phone. It appears this problem may have arisen from something screwy ATT does ...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: configuring N1 with tmo's $10 unlimited web for phone service

Mea culpa! I was too quick to point the finger at the phone. It appears this problem may have arisen from something screwy ATT does with tying its prepaid accounts to a specific phone's IMEI. The explanation makes no sense to me; I suspect it is some attempt by ATT to control its users. Google and HTC, I apologize. Now I just need to reload all the apps I uninstalled.

grt
    Sorry to bump an old topic but I'm curious if anyone has any updates in regards to this. I've seen a myriad of stories here and on other forums. It seems that it works for some and not for others. For those who have had success with it, did it continue to work indefinitely? Also, I'm seeing some discrepancies about the type of connection people are getting. Does doing this give the Nexus One 3G speeds or does it limit it to 2G?

Today, I have a BB Curve 8320 with no data plan. Tomorrow (by 3:00pm, according to FedEx), I will have a Nexus One. I'm EXTREMELY excited! To make this work, do I need to only change my phone at my.t-mobile.com (easily done) or do I have to put my SIM card in an older, voice-first phone (like a RAZR)? In either case, is it advised to call 611 and have them add the service or should I just do that on my.t-mobile.com?

If it comes to it, I'll just be normal and add the $30 service...but I'd love to take this alternate route if at all possible.

Sorry for all of the questions. It's just that I'm getting different answers everywhere I look and I'm confident that people here have the answers I'm looking for...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by grt View Post
    Sorry to bump an old topic but I'm curious if anyone has any updates in regards to this. I've seen a myriad of stories here and on other forums. It seems that it works for some and not for others. For those who have had success with it, did it continue to work indefinitely? Also, I'm seeing some discrepancies about the type of connection people are getting. Does doing this give the Nexus One 3G speeds or does it limit it to 2G?

Today, I have a BB Curve 8320 with no data plan. Tomorrow (by 3:00pm, according to FedEx), I will have a Nexus One. I'm EXTREMELY excited! To make this work, do I need to only change my phone at my.t-mobile.com (easily done) or do I have to put my SIM card in an older, voice-first phone (like a RAZR)? In either case, is it advised to call 611 and have them add the service or should I just do that on my.t-mobile.com?

If it comes to it, I'll just be normal and add the $30 service...but I'd love to take this alternate route if at all possible.

Sorry for all of the questions. It's just that I'm getting different answers everywhere I look and I'm confident that people here have the answers I'm looking for...

Thanks!

The $5/$9 hack only works on certain phones (windows mobile, iphone, nexus, etc) because of the way t-mobile sees your hardware IMEI. With a 3G capable phone that runs on T-mobile’s 3G frequency you will get 3G speeds. The iphone 3G/3GS only works at EDGE/2G speeds because the hardware only supports AT&T’s 3G frequency, its a hardware issue. The nexus connects at 3G because if you get the T-mobile compatible version it has the hardware to support T-mobiles 3G.

The $5/$9 plan is not offered anymore because it was designed for older non-smart phones. Most people who have the plan currently got it by grandfathering it (ie had the plan with an older phone a long time ago and just kept it when upgrading phones). You might still be able to get the service if you call tmobile and convince them that you are running an older phone (motorola razr for instance) and want to add t-zones but it will “probably” not work anymore. Usually with a new phone purcahse t-mobile will require you to add the full data plan

Quote Originally Posted by norazi View Post
    The $5/$9 hack only works on certain phones (windows mobile, iphone, nexus, etc) because of the way t-mobile sees your hardware IMEI. With a 3G capable phone that runs on T-mobile’s 3G frequency you will get 3G speeds. The iphone 3G/3GS only works at EDGE/2G speeds because the hardware only supports AT&T’s 3G frequency, its a hardware issue. The nexus connects at 3G because if you get the T-mobile compatible version it has the hardware to support T-mobiles 3G.

The $5/$9 plan is not offered anymore because it was designed for older non-smart phones. Most people who have the plan currently got it by grandfathering it (ie had the plan with an older phone a long time ago and just kept it when upgrading phones). You might still be able to get the service if you call tmobile and convince them that you are running an older phone (motorola razr for instance) and want to add t-zones but it will “probably” not work anymore. Usually with a new phone purcahse t-mobile will require you to add the full data plan
    I'm on T-Mo's site now, I've got the $29 500min Everything plus; sim card; and was also able to add the $10 unlimited web... so I'm a bit confused.

Quote Originally Posted by secundar View Post

I'm on T-Mo's site now, I've got the $29 500min Everything plus; sim card; and was also able to add the $10 unlimited web... so I'm a bit confused.

well u are on an older phone, not the nexus one

Quote Originally Posted by norazi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by secundar View Post

well u are on an older phone, not the nexus one
    On the N1 now with that same account setup. All I changed was the APN as mentioned above. So far so good.

Game over for $10 3G ?

think it might be game-over for cheap 3g at tm... two days ago i had the tm website option of upgrading my old school RAZR flip fone to unlimited web at $10. Today it shows that plan replaced by $1.99/mb a la carte. Is it game over for the t-zones/non-smart phone social hack? I think I waited too long to get my N1 and the $10 plan...

I'm still using mine with no problems....

grandfather rights okay... game over if noobie

If u "have it" I think you're fine... but I think they just shut the barn door on those that never pulled the trigger (myself). Snooze u lose. Anyone else concur?

$10 web for fone... I'm in

Ok, just got off tm webchat with CS... I said I didn't see $10 web data for phone on the tm website anymore (it was there a few days ago). Told "em could u give me $10 web. Guy said sure and added it. Haven't even ordered my N1 yet but wanted to get grandfather in b4 it's gone. Worked for me (so far). FYI.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links