Any T-mobile SF Bay area users here?

This is a discussion on Any T-mobile SF Bay area users here? within the T-Mobile forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Just wanted to add that I was at the Giants game last night and the 3g signal was very low, thus making the N1 decide ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any T-mobile SF Bay area users here?

Just wanted to add that I was at the Giants game last night and the 3g signal was very low, thus making the N1 decide to go for Edge. However, this isn't a problem because there's free WiFi in the park.

I am with ATT and want to get the N1. T-Mobile says the coverage in my area is good. They showed me on their computer. Hope that is right. I have a question about the N1 and being an unlocked phone. Admittedly, this is all a bit over my head. If the phone is unlocked, how come you have to get a different phone for ATT? Why doesn't the same phone work on either network if it is unlocked? I guess I thought that meant that a phone was universal and could be used with any firm, if there the same kind of service, that is (CDMA ...). Also, since this is a phone with a SIM card, can it be used in Europe and other parts of the world if you travel?

The only reason you need a different N1 for ATT is to have functional 3g on their network. ATT uses a different frequency than T-mobile, or the most of the world. Verizon's N1 most likely will NOT be a world phone since their network uses CDMA, a dying format as far as everyone else is concerned.

So to sum it up, T-mo and ATT N1's will still work around the world, but to have functional 3g for your network, you must have the appropriate N1.

okcoolthnx - I live in the Potrero Hill area of SF (not far from the ball-park) and I can confirm T-Mobile 3G is basically non-existent on this eastern edge of SF. I've done the setting tweak to (supposedly) force it to use 3G, but I'm only getting ONE bar of Edge. Doing a mobile speed test confirms the lousy connection speeds here. I just got the N1 and I'm really hoping this is not the case for the rest of the city? Hard to believe SF of all places has such wireless connectivity issues (across all carriers and networks, it seems).

rfdigital - In general, the 3G coverage in SF is good with T-mobile. They're making a decent effort in expanding coverage in the city, but there's a lot of liberal freaks that are causing an uproar over the installation of new cell phone towers in their neighborhood. They're worried about cancer causing frequencies blablabla; the usual BS when it comes to SF politics.

That said, San Francisco has a very unique topography, so it's not just T-mobile that has 3G trouble, it's pretty much any carrier in the city. Portrero Hill is a district I would see as very difficult to cover because of the rolling hills and whatnot. Unlike Nob Hill, there aren't any tall buildings to put a cell phone tower on (5 story maximum height on commercial/apartments, 40 feet maximum on residential housing).

Basically, we'll just have to wait. I have faith in T-Mobile and there are documented efforts of them trying to add coverage in the city.

I live and work in the East Bay and calls are fine (no drops) but internet service is iffy at best. Work has always been an issue - downtown Oakland - internal office in a tall building - so I just accept it and walk towards a window to make a call or use internet services. Home (North Richmond/Pinole) is becoming a problem. Must ALWAYS "retry" for an internet connection. I did not have this problem with the G1 or the T-Mobile Wing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links