Can TMo N1 connect to any GSM network?

This is a discussion on Can TMo N1 connect to any GSM network? within the T-Mobile forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I know TMo is GSM I know AT&T is GSM I know Verizon is not GSM That's about it. I have a TMo Nexus one. ...

Thread: Can TMo N1 connect to any GSM network?

Can TMo N1 connect to any GSM network?

I know TMo is GSM
    I know AT&T is GSM
    I know Verizon is not GSM
    That's about it.

I have a TMo Nexus one. If I were to get an AT&T simcard, would the phone work on the AT&T network?

I think what I'm getting at is - what frequencies do the various carriers use, and can the radio in my phone work with all of them, or is it it limited to a certain set of frequencies (and if so, what frequencies), and what frequencies do the various carriers use? If my phone has limited set of frequencies, does the AT&T version have access to a superset of frequencies that includes the TMo frequencies?

It seems TMo towers work at 850/1900 MHz (1G/2G) and 1700/2100 MHz(3G)

I noticed that somebody said they switched their phone to WCDMA. Is this what Verizon uses? What does that mean? Could I use my TMo phone on Verizon? I thought they were incompatible?

I'm generally happy with the coverage I have experienced with the 495 belt in Boston, but outside there it seems coverage pretty much sucks. For instance, in Ashburnham, MA, there is nothing, not even phone service, but Verizon is fine. Anyone know what their plans are to improve this? Are there any maps available to show what their plans are?

Thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the N1-T-Mo phone has a modified ROM. In order to use it with a different GSM provider, you would have to unlock/root it irregardless of the carrier's operating frequency. The N1's hardware is configured to work at GSM and CDMA frequencies.

Any GSM phone will work on any GSM network (it has to be a quadband capable phone, but all of the new ones are anyway). This is regarding voice only.

A GSM phone will never work on any CDMA network no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    Any GSM phone will work on any GSM network (it has to be a quadband capable phone, but all of the new ones are anyway). This is regarding voice only.

A GSM phone will never work on any CDMA network no matter what.

Correct!!

FYI add on...

The Nexus uses 850, 900, 1800 & 1900MHZ as it's quadband frequency. (not including it's 3G) Any carrier using these, Nexus One can connect; as long as the carrier you are using as a 'roaming agreement' with the other carrier you are trying to connect to.

CDMA networks also use the quadband (850, 900, 1800, 1900) but will never work on a GSM network.

BlackBerry Storm2 9550 - Full phone specifications

So this sort of partially answers my question.

Regarding CDMA, why did one person I read say he had set up his N1 to access WCDMA? Is this possible? I understand that to do it he would at least have to root the phone, and I imagine also flash the radio with different firmware?

Ok, so a GSM phone can talk on any GSM network. But I'm also interested in data. I understand my phone can roam and access AT&T Edge (2G?), but not their 3G. What's the difference?

Ok, I get some of the answer - apparently TMo serves data over a WCDMA network?
    So can my phone roam to a Verizon network for its data?
    So I guess the GSM is just used for the phone?

I note that Data Roaming is turned off. Should I turn that on, and then might I see an increase in coverage as it roams data to other vendors?

I notice that if I go into the Available Networks setting, both TMobile and AT&T are available. I assume this is only for data? And it will only connect to AT&T if I turn on data roaming.

Is it true that if I have unlimited data with TMo, I can turn on roaming and won't incur any charges if I end up connecting to AT&T?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    So this sort of partially answers my question.

Regarding CDMA, why did one person I read say he had set up his N1 to access WCDMA? Is this possible? I understand that to do it he would at least have to root the phone, and I imagine also flash the radio with different firmware?

Ok, so a GSM phone can talk on any GSM network. But I'm also interested in data. I understand my phone can roam and access AT&T Edge (2G?), but not their 3G. What's the difference?

WCDMA on a GSM network has absolutely nothing to do with regular CDMA (Sprint and Verizon). WCDMA is used primarily by Rogers in Canada and is slowly creeping into US. Don't worry too much about it right now.

Regarding your question on 2G and 3G difference... to simply put it, it's like trying to get an FM radio station an a AM receiver. It will never work.

So T-Mobile phones will never be able to get a 3G signal from AT&T.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links