1st Gen iPhone to Nexus One?

This is a discussion on 1st Gen iPhone to Nexus One? within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I have the 1st gen iPhone with 2g and the $20/month data plan. I am thinking about purchasing the N1, but I have a question ...

Thread: 1st Gen iPhone to Nexus One?

1st Gen iPhone to Nexus One?

I have the 1st gen iPhone with 2g and the $20/month data plan. I am thinking about purchasing the N1, but I have a question or two:

Would I just need to go get a new sim card to get the 3g (At&T)? Obviously, I would have to upgrade my data plan to the $30/month plan, but is it that simple?

I called At&T yesterday and talked to a very nice, but very clueless person. She hadn't even heard of the N1, and when I recommended that she ask around, she said that no one there was aware of it, which I found hard to believe.

Has anyone done this? I want to make sure that my new $529 phone is going to work on the network like it is supposed to.

Thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I used to work with tech support for at&t and yes it is very easy. You would have to get a new 3G sim card (unless you are already using one in your iPhone). They cost $25 but most sales reps would give it to you for free (they make commission on upgrading plans so they will get credit for the $30 plan you have to add). And that would be it; put the new sim in and you have 3G with the N1.

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonerStreet View Post
    I want to make sure that my new $529 phone is going to work on the network like it is supposed to.
    All I did was took my SIM card out of my BlackBerry Bold and placed it in my Nexus One and everything worked. I never experienced true 3G speeds like I am on the Nexus One, and I didn't have to setup the 3G settings, it just grabbed all the settings automatically from the network.

I didn't know that some SIM cards limit data speeds to 2G, but if that's the case with you then you better upgrade it to a 3G SIM card.

Good luck!

Yes there are some older Sim cards that cannot do 3G (they can but the network doesn't recognize them). You can probably tell if your Sim is a 3G, it will be blue and have the at&t 3G logo on it. The older ones are all white and generic looking.

hey, thanks everybody. Makes me feel a lot more comfortable about plunking down half a grand for a phone...

I've got a question I someone wouldn't mind answering.

I just ordered my at&t version and currently have a first gen iphone. However, the sim card has the 3g logo on it. Would I still have to take it into at&t to change my data plan to the $30/month?

Quote Originally Posted by FredyG View Post
    I've got a question I someone wouldn't mind answering.

I just ordered my at&t version and currently have a first gen iphone. However, the sim card has the 3g logo on it. Would I still have to take it into at&t to change my data plan to the $30/month?
    Answered in the thread you started elsewhere. Please don't cross-post.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links