Change phone numbers to add to family plan?

This is a discussion on Change phone numbers to add to family plan? within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; My two year family plan has ended with Sprint and I am going to purchase the unlocked AT&T N1 and switch everyone over to AT&T ...

Thread: Change phone numbers to add to family plan?

Change phone numbers to add to family plan?

My two year family plan has ended with Sprint and I am going to purchase the unlocked AT&T N1 and switch everyone over to AT&T (wife wants the iPhone). My question is how will I operate this transition? Do I order the phone with a new number, wait til it arrives and then have AT&T switch the N1 over to my current number when I go in and set up the plan for my wife and parents? Or do I set up the family plan first, then order the phone with the existing account information on my current number?

I guess my question boils down to can I change the phone number on the phone after it arrives?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I would say if you're wanting to keep your current cell number, go ahead and have AT&T port them over. Just get your wife the iPhone and get yourself a free phone (doesn't really matter which one). After everything is set up, then order the N1 (overnight shipping is free). When you get the N1, call AT&T customer service and have them add the N1 via the IMEI. If you want the data package $30, you can add that while on the phone as well.

If I missed anything, I'm sure others will chime in.

But when I order the N1, I would order it with my current phone number from Sprint?

No. The AT&T N1 uses a sim card which will be provided to you when you and your wife sign up for new service. If you simply get a free phone for yourself, AT&T will provide you with a sim card for the phone. When you order and receive your N1, simply remove the sim card from the free phone and put it in the N1. Then call AT&T with the IMEI information. If you want a data package, you can add it at that time.

Thank you so much for all the help. That will work for me.

Why obligate yourself to a 2 yr contract for a free phone you don't need? Sure for the iphone as you are getting a subsidized phone, but if you are buying the n1 for $520, then just add a line no contract. They can assign a temp number and you can port over the existing number once you get the n1.

Quote Originally Posted by cdd543 View Post
    Why obligate yourself to a 2 yr contract for a free phone you don't need? Sure for the iphone as you are getting a subsidized phone, but if you are buying the n1 for $520, then just add a line no contract. They can assign a temp number and you can port over the existing number once you get the n1.
    Good point! Didn't think about that.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links