Looking to Buy, Couple of Questions

This is a discussion on Looking to Buy, Couple of Questions within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Hi! I'm looking to buy the Nexus One to use with AT&T since I don't have T-Mobile coverage in my area and I'm currently with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to Buy, Couple of Questions

Arrow Looking to Buy, Couple of Questions

Hi! I'm looking to buy the Nexus One to use with AT&T since I don't have T-Mobile coverage in my area and I'm currently with AT&T anyway.

I'm a little confused with the Google Voice integration. I would like to keep my current number (just put my SIM card in the Nexus One) and reap the benefits of Google Voice (visual voicemail, free texts, etc) while using that same number.

Is this possible? Or do I HAVE to get a new "Google Voice" number? Thanks!

And if I DO have to do the Google-Voice-Number-Forwarding-To-My-Real-Number thing, does this mean other people on AT&T will not benefit from the free mobile-to-mobile calling if they're talking to my Google Voice number? Or do I have to give out my real number to just AT&T people and confusing things like that?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I'm on TMO, but in my case, my GV number was already associated with my Google/Gmail acct. that I chose for the phone (you choose a main Google Acct. for the phone). I did as you suggest, and simply installed my SIM, signed in as my 'main Google ID', and GV worked. I'm confused by your second question, but that is understandable, as hardly anyone TOTALLY understands how GV works! LOL!

You will need to use your Google Voice number to benefit from free texting, calls, etc.....there is no way of using your original number as of right now. They said they are coming out with the feature of being able to port your number so if someone texts your original number, it will be sent to your google voice number isntead.

Other ppl will not benefit from you using Google Voice. They need google voice themselves to benefit.

Thanks guys! So it looks like I have no choice but to work with two numbers?

Clarification on my second question, I know it was confusing:
    I'm on AT&T, and so are a lot of people who call me. Right now if they call me, we both get free mobile to mobile since we're on the same network. So if I give them my Google Voice number instead, when they call me, they won't be dialing an AT&T number. So will their call now be counted against their allotted minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by pc_michael View Post
    Thanks guys! So it looks like I have no choice but to work with two numbers?

Clarification on my second question, I know it was confusing:
    I'm on AT&T, and so are a lot of people who call me. Right now if they call me, we both get free mobile to mobile since we're on the same network. So if I give them my Google Voice number instead, when they call me, they won't be dialing an AT&T number. So will their call now be counted against their allotted minutes?
    That is my understanding. They need your call your ATT number to get m2m discount.

Got it. Thanks so much! I'm ordering Monday, I can't wait.

Just tell everyone to Text you at ur google voice number. And to call you on ur AT&T number. You still need to get a voice plan from my understanding so a Google Voice only number isn't really an option at this point. Unless you can get that $30 data plan without a voice plan.

Quote Originally Posted by pc_michael View Post
    Got it. Thanks so much! I'm ordering Monday, I can't wait.
    I think you'll love it! Enjoy!

Does anyone know any Data only plans..........like only data, no voice??

Quote Originally Posted by pewpewbangbang View Post
    Just tell everyone to Text you at ur google voice number. And to call you on ur AT&T number.
    I want that delicious visual voice mail as well, so I'll be giving my AT&T number to AT&T people, and my Google Voice number to everybody else I guess!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links