Google Dropping Support for ATT 3G N1

This is a discussion on Google Dropping Support for ATT 3G N1 within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Hello everyone, I am switching from an iPhone 3GS to a Nexus One (I've heard all you have to do is remove your 3GS SIM ...

Thread: Google Dropping Support for ATT 3G N1

Google Dropping Support for ATT 3G N1

Hello everyone,

I am switching from an iPhone 3GS to a Nexus One (I've heard all you have to do is remove your 3GS SIM Card and place it in your N1, is that all, really? No plan changes?) and I have heard that they may drop support for their webstore this coming June 19, and I had also heard rumors, they would be having only T-Mobile retailers, and therefore nothing for ATT, and therefore, I wouldn't be able to purchase one. So, should I complete my purchase before this coming June 19?

Thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by qcom View Post
    I've heard all you have to do is remove your 3GS SIM Card and place it in your N1, is that all, really? No plan changes?
    Yep, it's that easy. I did exactly that last week when I received my N1 last week. Works like a charm!

I have heard that they may drop support for their webstore this coming June 19
    Where did you hear this?

And there were no additional charges to your plan after you switcher the SIM Cards?

Also, I had heard about that over at androidforums.com/nexus-one/ but their site appears to be down right now.. It was a link to a CNET article which I can't find for some reason. But they said that on June 19 they may drop support of their online retail store and move to T-Mobile retail stores (physical ones). Therefore, someone over at androidforums.com speculated that they would most likely not be selling N1s over at ATT stores, and they wouldn't sell unlocked ones at the T-Mobile stores.

I'm not sure if this is a rumor or not, that was what I was after.

I might as well just get the N1 now, while it's still online! I know that I want, it so I don't need to try it out..

I don't have any official information. However, since AT&T likes to control their phones (like turning off the ability to use non-Market Apps, making special distribution deals with app developers and the like), it is unlikely that AT&T will move the Nexus One to their stores.

Will the AT&T Nexus One continue to be offered? Probably for a while, but not forever. But then again, nothing is forever in cell phones. Nobody has announced a specific date. I'm sure Google will warn everyone before they run out of AT&T Nexus Ones for the final time.

The June 19 date for T-Mobile to start offering Nexus Ones in their stores is something people would love since T-Mobile is offering all phones for free on that day. I don't see anything that confirms this. If I were T-Mobile and this was my plan, I would widely publicize the news and hope that all the stores sold out to create an iPhone type of news event. Since they aren't announcing it, then it probably won't happen on that day.

:nexusx: The Mother of all Father's Day offers :nexusx:

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

OK cool, thanks for the thorough help!

I'm really excited for my N1 though, so glad to breakout from Apple's prison xD

Stopping selling the phone and dropping support are two different things.

And there were no additional charges to your plan after you switcher the SIM Cards?

Also, I had heard about that over at androidforums.com/nexus-one/ but their site appears to be down right now.. It was a link to a CNET article which I can't find for some reason. But they said that on June 19 they may drop support of their online retail store and move to T-Mobile retail stores (physical ones). Therefore, someone over at androidforums.com speculated that they would most likely not be selling N1s over at ATT stores, and they wouldn't sell unlocked ones at the T-Mobile stores.

I'm not sure if this is a rumor or not, that was what I was after.

I might as well just get the N1 now, while it's still online! I know that I want, it so I don't need to try it out..
    Rumor that they are dropping support for their webstore after the webstore closes is no big deal. Who needs support when the webstore is closed? Only those who have bought the phone and looking to return it? If you really want the phone and not looking to return it, why do you care, since support is dropped for the store not for the phone.

I assume they still have stock for the AT&T banded N1s since they are still for sale. So are they going to throw them all away after the webstore closes? I don't think so. Maybe you wont get stores selling AT&T banded N1 immediately after the webstore closes, but I would speculate that these phones will surface in the market after some time, either at AT&T stores or non-branded cell phone stores.

I'm sure it will be available for a long while since that phone uses the same bands as the ones in Canada and most of the world.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links