3G MicroCell

This is a discussion on 3G MicroCell within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I don't know about the rest of you, but my house isn't in 3G, so I've been reading up on AT&T's 3G MicroCell. But then ...

Thread: 3G MicroCell

3G MicroCell

I don't know about the rest of you, but my house isn't in 3G, so I've been reading up on AT&T's 3G MicroCell. But then I think to myself I have WiFi at home already so do I really need something like that.

So does anybody here have one or tried it out? It's $150 and they announced yesterday that they were going to sell them everywhere now, but if I was going to get one I would want to just get a used one off eBay or something. But there are no used ones out there I can find. What do you guys think?

Here's a link to what it is, if you have never seen it before. There are mixed reviews all over the internet about it too. A lot of good ones, but some bad ones too.

AT&T 3G MicroCell

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Snickolaz View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you, but my house isn't in 3G, so I've been reading up on AT&T's 3G MicroCell. But then I think to myself I have WiFi at home already so do I really need something like that.

So does anybody here have one or tried it out? It's $150 and they announced yesterday that they were going to sell them everywhere now, but if I was going to get one I would want to just get a used one off eBay or something. But there are no used ones out there I can find. What do you guys think?

Here's a link to what it is, if you have never seen it before. There are mixed reviews all over the internet about it too. A lot of good ones, but some bad ones too.

AT&T 3G MicroCell
    If you have wifi at your house I would look into Skype or something similar. AT&T wants to deduct the data that you are using on your own wifi AND the voice minutes you are using off your calling plan. Friggin BS if you ask me, all because they wont invest in their infrastructure.
    Jason
    Nexus One

Quote Originally Posted by pricej636 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snickolaz View Post

AT&T 3G MicroCell
    If you have wifi at your house I would look into Skype or something similar. AT&T wants to deduct the data that you are using on your own wifi AND the voice minutes you are using off your calling plan. Friggin BS if you ask me, all because they wont invest in their infrastructure.
    I do have WiFi, and I'm not worried about my minutes or data usage, I have tons of rollover minutes and I'm on the unlimited data. But my wife has a basic phone with no WiFi, and the edge network is slow when she want to look at her facebook on her phone. Plus she has unlimited data too. I just figured if I could find one for cheap, why not. Because it's not going to hurt anything.

For that price, I would get a low end netbook.

Cell coverage is the wireless provider's responsibility, not mine.

Does the picocell allow data access via 3g?

Quote Originally Posted by pricej636 View Post
    In my case, I get full bars of 3G outside my apartment, and one or two bars inside, sometimes falling back to EDGE. The only explanation I can think of is that the building is built like a giant faraday cage. So I can't fault AT&T for that, so I bought a Microcell.

Quote Originally Posted by fone View Post
    Does the picocell allow data access via 3g?
    Yes.

So, i pay for a nexus one....
    Pay for my internet.
    Pay for the specail adapter so i can get in house 3g.

Than i pay extra when u use more than they feel i should ?

Forget that.
    I have unlimited internet, but there is a limit, promise.

So did you get any sort of deals when you got your MicroCel? I just recently moved and the basement is a little spotty, but I have AT&T DSL and I read there's a discount if you do...

Here I am looking into these bad boys and kind of wanting one, then AT&T decided to give somebody 1 for free.

AT&T handing out free 3G MicroCells to loyal customers? -- Engadget

I've been an AT&T customer for a while now, plus I just signed up for their DSL recently, any reps out there that want to hook me up?

As for the device itself, the 3G MicroCell is bulky, plastic, and ugly. Itís shaped like an upside-down Y, colored with a gray spine and AT&Tís trademark white-and-orange piping. Compared to Appleís Airport Extreme, itís large, measuring 8.5 inches tall, 1.25 inches thick, and about 6.25 inches wide. Besides its status-light activity, you know the 3G MicroCell is operational because the iPhone carrier ID switches from ďAT&TĒ to ďAT&T M-CellĒ whenever itís in range. The signal-strength indicator on my phone immediately jumps from one or two to four to five bars. If you start a call on your MicroCell and leave your house, the device will switch you to a tower once youíre out of range, so youíll get seamless coverage when youíre mobile--sort of. Unfortunately, calls that initiate on a tower wonít transfer to the MicroCell when you get home.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links