Tiered Data Plans for Smartphone text

This is a discussion on Tiered Data Plans for Smartphone text within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I received this text this morning: AT&T Free Msg: Did you know a data plan is required for your Smartphone? We have added an appropriate ...

Thread: Tiered Data Plans for Smartphone text

Tiered Data Plans for Smartphone text

I received this text this morning:

AT&T Free Msg: Did you know a data plan is required for your Smartphone? We have added an appropriate data and msging plan. Learn more @att.com/smartphoneplans

I called Customer Service and told them to revert me back to my old plan. I was originally paying $30 media bundle which gave me unlimited data and texting. After I received that text, I checked my plan and they were charging me $25 for 2gb and $20 for unlimited texting. I was not happy...

After a rep verified my IMEI number and that I had been using a "non-smartphone" prior to Nov 2009 then they would add me to the Smartphone Exclusion List. Walah..

Back to unlimited data. I hope it stays this way.

Share your experience please.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Nice! I have the unlimited texting for family, but I remember I had the $10 unlimited data for a while on my Nexus. Until they realized I had a "smartphone" and they switched me to the $30 unlimited right before they changed it to the new data plans/prices. I think it's crap, some data either way, they are just charging more because the phone can use the internet easier and for more things...

I remember when I got my Samsung Blackjack they made me get the "smartphone" plan. Even though on Microsoft's site it wasn't considered a smartphone since it didn't have a touch screen. But after they signed you up on it and you got your rebate you could log into AT&T's website and change the plan to the cheap one. They've "fixed" that since then though so you can't easily change your data packages around like that. Always out for more money...

I received this text message this morning also, and called in to Customer Service, but they were unhelpful and told me that I could use a different phone that's NOT a smartphone and keep my Unlimited Data+Text for $30, but if I continue using my Nexus One, I'll be charged $20 unlimited textmessaging and a $25 for 2GB plan. NOT HAPPY AT ALL.

So I went down to my local AT&T store but those agents were not that bright. They kept telling me "it's because you put your SIM card into your phone and that's why you got this message". =_=" So after about half an hour of walking the AT&T workers through my situation without having them try to interrupt me, they finally understood my position and said there was nothing that they could do. But they did change my plan back to my original one of $30 Unlimited Data+Text and said AT&T could do another sweep and I may be switched to the "new" plan again.

Now just taking a breather and thinking of calling into Customer Service and what to say.

so.. after hours with AT&T's CSR, they said that my $30 plan was not okay to use with this phone, even if a previous CSR agent at AT&T had told me that the plan was okay for Nexus One smartphone use. They offered to give all the phones on my family plan Unlimited Messaging, but I would have to use the 2GB Data plan for my phone. All this for $5 extra a month.

Talking to him about my previous bills with the Nexus One, we agreed that my average data use for each month was about a little more than 1GB and I had not gone over 60% of usage of 2GB. So this made me feel a little at ease but still, I am worried about going over the alotted data. Needless to say I'm seriously thinking about switching to a different cell phone provider now. I've been a customer with them since 2005 (as AT&T), and even before that as Cingular wireless since 2000. =[

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links