HTC Sync Update for Aria - now you can sideload apps!

This is a discussion on HTC Sync Update for Aria - now you can sideload apps! within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; AT&T has a track record of disabling basic features on Android, which seems counterintuitive to the whole "open-source" foundation behind Android. And not surprising, one ...

Thread: HTC Sync Update for Aria - now you can sideload apps!

HTC Sync Update for Aria - now you can sideload apps!

AT&T has a track record of disabling basic features on Android, which seems counterintuitive to the whole "open-source" foundation behind Android. And not surprising, one of the biggest complaints with the HTC Aria was with AT&T, and not the phone itself; AT&T removed the ability to install applications from unknown sources (i.e., apps outside the Android Market). After being lambasted by reviewers and bloggers alike, the Aria did not sell as well as AT&T had anticipated, and many considered it a flop.

However, thanks to HTC (and possibly AT&T as well), Aria customers may not be left out in the cold entirely. Thanks to an update to HTC Sync released on July 9th, users now can sync their Aria to their computer, and "sideload" apps (install apps outside the Android Market). Using HTC Sync, all you need to do is drag-and-drop APK files, and they will automatically install for you. Although this may not be the ideal solution for Aria users, at least you now have the option. Either that, or get your Aria rooted, which is probably the best solution, but we aren't responsible for bricked or damaged phones!

So, what do you think of the new HTC Sync tools for the Aria? Too little too late, or the solution you've been waiting for?

Photo courtesy of MobileCrunch
    Source Engadget, HTC

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I saw this yesterday and I believe the updates to the article stated that this only applies to the HTC Sync tool. In my opinion this isn't any different than using ADB or Droid Explorer like we do.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    I saw this yesterday and I believe the updates to the article stated that this only applies to the HTC Sync tool. In my opinion this isn't any different than using ADB or Droid Explorer like we do.
    you are correct. this does exactly the same thing as ADB install, or Droid Explorer. But it is a sigh of relief for those who aren't so well-versed in computing.

Ah, nice, I didn't notice they added this. Nothing new for me, as wuyanks said, but still is nice to 'be there'.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links