Samsung open-sources Captivate's code

This is a discussion on Samsung open-sources Captivate's code within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Modding community, rejoice! Samsung just announced that it open-sourced the Captivate's code. 166 MB of pure coding goodness. What does this mean exactly? For one, ...

Thread: Samsung open-sources Captivate's code

Samsung open-sources Captivate's code

Modding community, rejoice! Samsung just announced that it open-sourced the Captivate's code. 166 MB of pure coding goodness. What does this mean exactly? For one, this will allow the creation of custom ROMs on the Captivate to be much easier and more complete. Also, developers can issue bug fixes to the Captivate before the manufacturer gets around to it. Case in point, the development community has already made modifications to the Galaxy S code to fix the "mimocan external SD card lag." Many users reported that there is a delay when sending items from internal memory to the SD card. So, thanks to the code being open-sourced, this issue is now fixed.

Also, it may eventually be possible to input bits and pieces of the Captivate code onto other smartphones. If you have a Droid X but instead of Blur, you want TouchWiz 3.0, it may now be possible. Let's hope other manufacturers embrace open source as much as Samsung, and begin to release source code for their own devices. Also note, the Vibrant's source code had been previously made available, check it out at the source link as well.

Download here: SGH-I897_Opensource.tar.gz

via BriefMobile
    Source: Samsung Open Source

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Don't all of the manufacturers release the source code for their phones? I thought this was a requirement?
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

That's what I thought too, but I don't think that there's a time slot where they have to release it. Most companies get it out of the way quickly, but Samsung decided to take their time.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

Samsung's got the right idea. Now when the hell is Motorola gonna get their heads out of their asses and give us Backflip owners what we want.

dandroid
    The source is available here: https://opensource.motorola.com/sf/s...jects.backflip

Quote Originally Posted by Yawnses View Post
    Samsung's got the right idea. Now when the hell is Motorola gonna get their heads out of their asses and give us Backflip owners what we want.

Yeah, Motorola released the source for the Backflip long ago. The problem is that we can't gain root access to the phone in order to put it to use.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links