I am going to be the company's guinea pig - no clue what to choose

This is a discussion on I am going to be the company's guinea pig - no clue what to choose within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Hi! Since I am deemed a superpower user at work, I will be the guinea pig to try an android phone (vs the blackberry that ...

Thread: I am going to be the company's guinea pig - no clue what to choose

I am going to be the company's guinea pig - no clue what to choose

Hi! Since I am deemed a superpower user at work, I will be the guinea pig to try an android phone (vs the blackberry that I currently use). I have no clue what AT&T android phone is best suited for a user like me. I principally use my phone for voice and email and occasional browsing. So, it has to be easy to write emails, SMS etc. Is the Captivate the way to go? -M

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I'd make sure AT&T did not load the Captivate with the same kind of bloatware they did with the Backflip. The Backflip is barely an Android phone. I'm not happy with teh locked down apps and ups and extras that AT&T has forced on us. I am waiting to see what happens with OS 2.1 for the Backflip when and if it ever comes.

AT&T is a better iPhone company than anything else. Apple was able to stop AT&T from doing to the iPhone what they did to the Backflip. The dirty little secret about Google Android | ZDNet

If the Captivate is loaded with the same crapware/Fee-ware that the Backflip is then maybe it's time to look at Verizon.

Alright, I usually don't bother, but I'm just going to say this here and now: Some people just exaggerate AT&T "lockdowns" "bloatware" etc to the point that it's obvious they are just angry about something and vent it against phones for some reason. Does AT&T put some of their own apps on their phones? YES. Does verizon? YES. The phones are called "crippled" or "locked down" because you can only download apps from the app market. 99% of people who use these phones wouldn't know or care that you could go to some website and download a beta version of some software or something similar, and it is exactly the same way on iPhone, yet it seems to be doing fine. This "barely an android" crap has finally grated my last nerve when dealing with people. It is pure 100% android, there are work-arounds for sideloading, or you can even spen the 3 minutes it will take you to root the phone and enable sideloading if it bothers you that bad.

Myself, I would prefer they didn't make it harder to sideload but it really REALLY isn't that big of a deal, and the people who would be interested in sideloading would already know how to do it wether att wants you to or not, so again, it is NOT a big deal.

Now, mnylen, to answer your question and get off my rant, yes the Captivate would suit you just fine, and if it's a little too big or whatever, you may want to even play around with the aria.

Android is a fine choice on ANY provider, regardless of what the ignorant will tell you.

I agree with SiXes. I would say play around with all the current ATT Android phones. I would say that the Captivate is the most high-end "top of the line" Android currently on ATT. If you're looking for something with a physical keyboard similar to the Blackberry, you may check out the Backflip, though keep in mind it is more of a mid-range phone and the specs aren't as great, and currently it is running Android 1.5 but 2.1 should be here by early Q4.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Quote Originally Posted by SiXes View Post
    Alright, I usually don't bother, but I'm just going to say this here and now: Some people just exaggerate AT&T "lockdowns" "bloatware" etc to the point that it's obvious they are just angry about something and vent it against phones for some reason. Does AT&T put some of their own apps on their phones? YES. Does verizon? YES. The phones are called "crippled" or "locked down" because you can only download apps from the app market. 99% of people who use these phones wouldn't know or care that you could go to some website and download a beta version of some software or something similar, and it is exactly the same way on iPhone, yet it seems to be doing fine. This "barely an android" crap has finally grated my last nerve when dealing with people. It is pure 100% android, there are work-arounds for sideloading, or you can even spen the 3 minutes it will take you to root the phone and enable sideloading if it bothers you that bad.

Myself, I would prefer they didn't make it harder to sideload but it really REALLY isn't that big of a deal, and the people who would be interested in sideloading would already know how to do it wether att wants you to or not, so again, it is NOT a big deal.

Now, mnylen, to answer your question and get off my rant, yes the Captivate would suit you just fine, and if it's a little too big or whatever, you may want to even play around with the aria.

Android is a fine choice on ANY provider, regardless of what the ignorant will tell you.

Great post , well said on everything . The way some people go on you'd think the phone didn't work because AT&T installed so much of their own apps.

Get the Aria. If you have big fingers, get the Captivate.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

Oh the phone works...

Quote Originally Posted by Con5150 View Post
    Great post , well said on everything . The way some people go on you'd think the phone didn't work because AT&T installed so much of their own apps.
    It has some annoyances I prefer to do without. I wanted an Android phone and I ended up with an AT&T Facebook Yahoo phone.

Won't happen again. And if I'd have read the complaints before hand, it wouldn't have happened at all.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links