Motorola Flipout Dead? Before Release?

This is a discussion on Motorola Flipout Dead? Before Release? within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; So I'm sure that everyone has heard of the mid-grade android phone [Motorola Flipout] that was set to hit stores on Sunday according to Engadget ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorola Flipout Dead? Before Release?

Motorola Flipout Dead? Before Release?

Name:  Motorola-Flipout-1.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  38.6 KB
    So I'm sure that everyone has heard of the mid-grade android phone [Motorola Flipout] that was set to hit stores on Sunday according to Engadget. Well it's now Tuesday and there is no phone. Now this is not something new and happens on more than one occassion, but it brings me to think why would they kill this phone? Lets here your comments after the break.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I've never even seen ATT mention they were even getting the Flipout. Did ATT kill it?... or is this simply a tech blog site getting carried away by unconfirmed sources?
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

It wouldn't be the worst thing if they did kill it. It's basically just a regurgitated Backflip, and thanks to Moto and At&t it's a joke of an Android phone anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by toebee97 View Post
    It's basically just a regurgitated Backflip
    And thats why I think it got canned. The bacflip was met with open arms by many, but it soon faiiled due to restrictions by ATT and hardware defects on Motos side(the random reboots).
    Motus MB300(Backflip)_2.1 Preclair Beta1 by j_r0dd

The Flipout has been used by carriers in Latin America and Europe since around June or earlier I believe. It's a mid-range phone, sure but I don't see why all of the hate. Besides, it runs Android 2.1.

Maybe AT&T refused to carry it until the Backflip also has 2.1 on it?

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    The Flipout has been used by carriers in Latin America and Europe since around June or earlier I believe. It's a mid-range phone, sure but I don't see why all of the hate. Besides, it runs Android 2.1.
    I wouldn't say I hate the phone, but it's just a gimmic. At&t won't release a serious Moto/Android phone like Verizon. They all have to "backflip" or "flipout" or do some crazy crap. And they make that the main selling point. Not the fact that it runs the greatest mobile OS ever. Then they lock it down iPhone style by taking away 3rd party apps and screwing up Android Market, and slather Motoblur all over it, which ruins the Android experience in my opinion. Also, the hardware is dated, the 528mhz processor(MSM7200A) is too slow to run 2.1+ efficiently. My old G1 with the MSM7201A would run 2.1 barely, but it was too sluggish to run FroYo. And that was with apps2sd, swap & compcache, and jit enabled.

Also, my fiancee has a backflip, and it isn't running 2.1, so not sure if you have an update the rest of us don't...

Quote Originally Posted by toebee97 View Post
    I wouldn't say I hate the phone, but it's just a gimmic. At&t won't release a serious Moto/Android phone like Verizon. They all have to "backflip" or "flipout" or do some crazy crap. And they make that the main selling point. Not the fact that it runs the greatest mobile OS ever. Then they lock it down iPhone style by taking away 3rd party apps and screwing up Android Market, and slather Motoblur all over it, which ruins the Android experience in my opinion. Also, the hardware is dated, 528mhz processors are too slow to run 2.1+ efficiently.

Also, my fiancee has a backflip, and it isn't running 2.1, so not sure if you have an update the rest of us don't...
    Yeah because the Samsung Galaxy S (Captivate) and the HTC Aria are "gimmick" phones. The Xpheria is a gimmick phone. Like the fact that ATT doesn't easily allow you install non-market apps or not, you can't deny that they do have some serious Android phones.

Besides, I don't believe they ever marketed the Backflip as a gimmick phone, though they did market it as a social-networking phone which is an honest assessment since Motoblur is heavily geared to keeping up with the various social networks.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    Yeah because the Samsung Galaxy S (Captivate) and the HTC Aria are "gimmick" phones. The Xpheria is a gimmick phone. Like the fact that ATT doesn't easily allow you install non-market apps or not, you can't deny that they do have some serious Android phones.

Besides, I don't believe they ever marketed the Backflip as a gimmick phone, though they did market it as a social-networking phone which is an honest assessment since Motoblur is heavily geared to keeping up with the various social networks.
    I'm not denying that At&t has any high end android devices, they're just a year behind everyone else. By the time At&t got around to releasing the Captivate(Which has the file system and gps issues) and X10 (which is only using 1.6), Verizon was already releasing the Droid X and Droid 2 with FroYo. I'm not saying I like Big red, quite the opposite. I'm just saying At&t needs to get with the program. I mean, if I'm paying $200 just to UPGRADE to my Captivate, it should work correctly. If not for the devoted folks at XDA, it still wouldn't. Now it has zero lag, no bloatware, no touchwiz, running 1.2ghz, and benchmarks higher than a Droid 2.

I don't understand why you seem to think the Captivate, aria, and X10 are gimmick phones. They are touch screen bar phones with a simple proprietary UI that is easily circumvented to access stock Android. The way the backflip is designed is a total gimmick phone in my opinion. Dumbphones can do the same kind of social networking these days. Don't even get me started on the Backtrack pad. And Motoblur is nothing more than a lackluster memory hog. Give me ADW or LauncherPro any day. And most of the social networking apps for Android have widgets anyway, so why should I let Motorola shove thier crappy UI down my throat? I don't know man, I guess I'm just an "overpowered vanilla Android" kinda guy lol.

That was intended to be sarcasm. I guess I failed.

Anyway, yes all of the social networks have apps with widgets, one of the things I like about Motoblur however, is that it is nice to have everything blended together. I know that some people won't accept anything other than vanilla Android, to which I just suggest then to get a Google Experience phone, if that is what you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links