Android Without A Camera

This is a discussion on Android Without A Camera within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Has anyone seen an Android without a camera? I can't have a camera at work. Mike Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Android Without A Camera

Android Without A Camera

Has anyone seen an Android without a camera?

I can't have a camera at work.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

I'm fairly certain that the inclusion of a camera is one of the requirements set by Google to have an "Android" branded phone, so the answer to the question, is no, there aren't any.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

I guess I'll have to remove it then.

Bummer!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Does anyone make a phone without a camera anymore? Even the freebie dumbphones have cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Does anyone make a phone without a camera anymore? Even the freebie dumbphones have cameras.
    There are a few. AAMOF, whe AT&T comes to work (I work for a defense contractor) they have a small selection of non-camera phone and they can special order BlackBerry's without a camera.

Things are changing a bit though. Since it's so hard to find decent phone without a camera, they changed some of the security policies. If we have the camera removed and take it to Security and they will inspect the phone to see that it gets some kind of hardware error message and then they damage the surface of the lens to ensure it canít take a picture. Then they register it and put a little sticker with the EB logo on it and youíre good to go.

I find it slightly surprising that there arenít more options for camera-less phones. I work for Electric Boat and we build submarines for the Navy so you can understand why we canít have camera phones. However, thereís a Pfizer R&D facility near here that had some restrictions as well as other defense related industry and engineering/manufacturing companies with camera phone restrictions. Itís a lot more prevalent than people think.

Iíve decided to leave my Captivate alone and just keep swapping my SIM to a Samsung Sync that I pulled the camera out of last year.

Mike

It may be more prevalent than people think, but I'm sure that it's still a very small percentage of the population, and when they are mass producing something, they are going to go with 98% of what the customer's will want/expect.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

The camera on the Backflip is so crap it's like not having one.....Ok , ok , that was lame.....

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    It may be more prevalent than people think, but I'm sure that it's still a very small percentage of the population, and when they are mass producing something, they are going to go with 98% of what the customer's will want/expect.
    I bet if you ran a survey you'd find that people have restrictions or know someone who has camera restriction is split fifty-fifty with those that don't.

Mike

^I highly doubt that. Very highly. I can understand company policy in your case, and others as well, but think about all the corporations out there who employee hundreds or thousands of people like factories for example. Assuming this place isnt making products for the government or something like that, and they employee 500 people. Out of those 500 how many do you suspect have camera phone restrictions? 5-10 MAYBE? I once worked in a telemarketing call center, 2 actually, where we would handle credit card transactions on the phone. We did not have camera phone restrictions, other then the keep it in your pocket, and that wasnt highly enforced by any means.

Take my step brother in law, he has a very good job at Toyota, quite high level and is even sent to Japan like once a year for meetings/conventions at Toyota HQ, and he doesnt have a camera phone restriction. Now he is contracted by Toyota to keep certain information confidential and would be in very deep **** if he leaked certain information. He isnt some low level welder or something like that.
    Motus MB300(Backflip)_2.1 Preclair Beta1 by j_r0dd

I'm running a poll at another site...

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=184617

Code:
    I have camera phone restrictions where I work.                                            12 24.00% 
    I know someone who has camera phone restrictions at their job.                             8 16.00% 
    I have, and I know other companies locally, who have camera phone restrictions at work.    6 12.00% 
    I do not have, nor do I know anyone who has, camera phone restrictions at work            24 48.00%
    Just a quick poll but it is running about the same as what I've read...which is about 50% have of know someone who has restrictions on camera phones. Personally, I think the 50-50 thing I've read about is probably 60-40 in favor of no restrictions because of overlap.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads