Blackberry vs Captivate

This is a discussion on Blackberry vs Captivate within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I currently use a BB Bold. I'm very close to going away from a BB and transition to an Android platform. For those of you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackberry vs Captivate

Blackberry vs Captivate

I currently use a BB Bold. I'm very close to going away from a BB and transition to an Android platform. For those of you out there that have made a switch from Blackberry, how did it work? How do you rate the following items in comparison Blackberry

• Calendar/schedule
    • Contacts
    • TXT/email/instant messaging

Did some searches and couldn't find any on this subject. I'm sure they are out there, just couldn't find any such thread

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Don't do it

I switched from a BB 8900 to a Captivate.

PROS:

*The Droid OS is a bit more open and user friendly than the BB's OS.

*Bigger Screen.

*Same charger/usb as BB 8900.

*It can run apps that a BB could never dream of running.

*Contact List holds more information.

*Definitely cooler looking than a blackberry.

CONS:

*The Captivate is a cheaply made POS that needs to be killed with fire.
    (I'm on my third one, with a fourth replacement being fed-ex'd to me now)

*The antenna is much much much weaker than a BB's antenna. 2 bars on a BB = 0-1 bars on a Captivate.

*Texting and typing in general take a lot of getting used to. You (& your thumbs) will miss your BB keyboard. Backspace is your friend on this heap.

*There's no skipping ahead in your contact list by pushing a button (r,s,t etc) You start at A and go down from there.

*No good cases yet. No Otterbox or anything else remotely durable. Just cheap flea-market quality silicon cases.

Basically if your switch from you super reliable blackberry to this unreliable cheap piece of crap, you'll regret it. I really wish I would have went with my gut instinct and got the Torch instead.

Interesting! I was hoping "cheap" construction wasn't an issue. Well maybe its a BB Torch after all.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    If you want anything that resembles a decent operating system... go Android, WP7, or WebOS. Maybe not the Captivate, but BB OS 6 is not the OS it should have been. Also, while the 8900 may have been a "super reliable" blackberry, the Bold's CERTAINLY aren't. I went through so many of those...

My big complaint about the Bold is the small CPU and the lack of apps

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric110 View Post
    My big complaint about the Bold is the small CPU and the lack of apps
    The underpowered CPU and lack of apps is something the entire Blackberry family share in common. Most of my Bold's optical trackpads failed, or the keyboards would stop working, or even this... this was my replacement to my originally purchased Bold with trackpad failure... I took the replacement out of the box and while it looked brand new, it had all kinds of trash between the LCD and the plastic on the inside. So #2 went back just as quickly as it came. I hate to say, but the new Motorola Bravo looks pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    The underpowered CPU and lack of apps is something the entire Blackberry family share in common. Most of my Bold's optical trackpads failed, or the keyboards would stop working, or even this... this was my replacement to my originally purchased Bold with trackpad failure... I took the replacement out of the box and while it looked brand new, it had all kinds of trash between the LCD and the plastic on the inside. So #2 went back just as quickly as it came. I hate to say, but the new Motorola Bravo looks pretty decent.
    Isn't Motorola Bravo running Windows mobile though?

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Nope. 2.1 sadly with Blur.

I would personally recommend you with BlackBerry Torch. Good design, great features. You will surely love it. I am providing you with an actual user review plus I am giving you the link from you can buy it on a good price.

The captivate is FAR from cheaply made, just the gorilla glass should tell you this was an outright lie. You absolutely CAN skip ahead in contact list, simply press the letter on the right side of the list to do so, or scroll....very smoothly and quickly....through your contacts. Texting is entirely subjective. I have zero problems texting, and swype works really really well on the captivate, not to mention you can simply speak and have android do the typing for you. But again, it's going to vary by user preference. As far as the antennae, I really don't know. I don't get many dropped calls on this thing....far less than I did with my iPhone, it could be that 1 bar on captivate truly DOES equal 2 on BB, but there's not a clear reference as to how many bars=whatever db on phones so whatever. I do happen to like silicon cases, but I have seen several hardshell cases as well, and while otterbox doesn't have one to my knowledge, it doesn't affect me since I'm not spending $50+ on a case.

I know some people have problems with ANY piece of hardware, but a lot of people simply exaggerate, lie, or really just don't know what they're doing. Do yourself a favor and try one out before you take anyone's advice.

That being said, the Captivate KILLS the Bold or the Torch IMO, period, no contest.

Oh and btw, watch out for Blackberry and other mfg street team losers who go to other msg boards to bash whatever they are not promoting, and trying to sell their own stuff like it's the holy grail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links