Build quality- is Captivate cheeply built?

This is a discussion on Build quality- is Captivate cheeply built? within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; The back is an aluminium alloy. If it were plastic, it would not be used as a conductor for the antenna. My Cappy is plenty ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Build quality- is Captivate cheeply built?

The back is an aluminium alloy. If it were plastic, it would not be used as a conductor for the antenna.

My Cappy is plenty sturdy. Its extremely light, which gives the illusion of being cheaply built, but that is simply not the case. It survives my very active lifestyle, as well as my children. I'm quite happy with it.

I might be the exception to the rule but I have had no problems with my captivate. It has held up quite impressively. The screen is gorgeous and I haven't had anything break on it. It is the fastest and most durable phone that I have ever had. But once again...I may be the exception to the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by micah View Post
    I might be the exception to the rule but I have had no problems with my captivate. It has held up quite impressively. The screen is gorgeous and I haven't had anything break on it. It is the fastest and most durable phone that I have ever had. But once again...I may be the exception to the rule.
    I don't think you're an exception. My daughter and I have Captivates. I've been using cell phones for over ten years (first one in ’98) and IMHO, the Captivate is as sturdy as any phone I've ever had.

The battery cover is metal (aluminum I think). The paint job is not very protective. My daughter’s has some scratches before I put an Invisible Shield on it. The screen is Gorilla Glass. That’s about as strong a display as we can get.

As far as the electronics/OS, well I’ve had zero issues with mine as well as my daughters. We’ve only been using them for a few months.

My 2 FWIW.

Mike

tell ya what i have had everything from the i phone to the nokiaE71x blackjack 1 and 2 and i got to say the captivaite is on top well built fast its only big problem is AT&T they are a train wreck now been with them for 5 yrs now and was great till the started integrating the centin stuff the last mounth has been horrible droped call real bad cust service hope they get it all going b4 they loose all ther good custs back to the phone it is great the best in my mind sturdy if it had a flash for the cam it would be perfect

I've owned a Captivate, Aria, and now a Bravo, in that order. The Captivate is well built, feels solid and the screen is excellent and durable. One thing I did not like was the shape of the phone. The captivate has sharp corners so it does not slip in and out of pockets easily. Also the left and right sides taper to form a thin edge which is a little uncomfortabel for holding but not a big deal.

Here are some other issues with the captivate:
    1. The micro USB port is recessed so most non-Samsung usb cables won't fit.
    2. I have had many lockups with the captivate that required battery removal. I suspect it is the samsung GUI, but who knows...
    3. The GPS on the Captivate is defective. Sometimes I would get a lock in a few seconds, but most of the time it would take up to 10 minutes to get a GPS lock. Getting a lock in a moving car is impossible, even after 15 minutes. None of the "GPS fixes" you find on the internet really work. If you use navigation or Google latitude a lot then this is not the right phone for you.

Good luck

I don't have a captivate myself, but am shopping around and for what it's worth, I have a friend who swears the Cap is the best of all of the att wireless cell phones out there (obviously he doesn't use gps much)

Quote Originally Posted by tystixs View Post
    tell ya what i have had everything from the i phone to the nokiaE71x blackjack 1 and 2 and i got to say the captivaite is on top well built fast its only big problem is AT&T they are a train wreck now been with them for 5 yrs now and was great till the started integrating the centin stuff the last mounth has been horrible droped call real bad cust service hope they get it all going b4 they loose all ther good custs back to the phone it is great the best in my mind sturdy if it had a flash for the cam it would be perfect
    I can give you my experience on these issues, having had the Captivate for a few months now.

1) Haven't had USB issues at all. I've used my cable, my wife's Backflip cable, the one from my Western Digital external drive, and even a cheap generic one I picked up for $5 at a truck stop when I forgot to take my cable to work with me. All work just fine. Actually, the WD drive is far more picky. It'll only work with it's own cable. One thing to note-make sure the little door is open all the way. I made this mistake on mine for a while. The little fingernail tab should be touching the side of the phone.

2) mine has never locked up, and I'm always doing a ton with this phone. I've had some apps get a bit glitchy, but never a total lockup requiring a battery pull.

3) GPS on mine has been sketchy at best. If I really needed it to work, I would not own this phone.

I will say that this is my second Captivate. I returned the first one after 2 days, because it had ALL the known issues in one phone, as well as some additional problems.

Overall, this phone is one of my favorites. I may actually keep it more than 6 months or so. For the record, my iPhone 3g was the second longest lasting phone, coming in at 1 year.

I've also found that loading a custom ROM (in my case, Cognition), vastly improved the phone stability and performance. This is not for the faint of heart, but worth looking into.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links