Build quality- is Captivate cheeply built?

This is a discussion on Build quality- is Captivate cheeply built? within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Ok, I was pretty set to pull the plug on my Blackberry and buy a Samsnug Captivate. Then I received a reply to my post ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build quality- is Captivate cheeply built?

Build quality- is Captivate cheeply built?

Ok, I was pretty set to pull the plug on my Blackberry and buy a Samsnug Captivate. Then I received a reply to my post "Blackberry vs. Captivate" that the Captivate is a cheaply built and breaks easily.

So all of you Captivate owners, fess up. Do you feel the Samsung Captivate is cheaply built? How many of you out there have done a warranty replacement? What break down issues have you experienced? I know it has a great screen, but, will it last more that a couple of months?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

IMHO, is as sturdy or strudier than any cell phone I've ever owned. It doesn't flex, it flimsy feeling.

I don't agree that it's cheaply built. My 2 FWIW.

Mike

I agree with MicroBeta. My wife has a Captivate and it doesn't feel or seem cheap at all. Some people just have bad experiences and love to just spout off.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Not to mention the display is Gorilla Glass. You won't find any Blackberry's on that list. :D

Gorilla Glass Link

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    Some people just have bad experiences and love to just spout off.
    That tends to be the case these days. You have a small number of people, in the grand scheme of things, who have a problem, and slowly but surley it gets turned in to one big bash fest. See Vista for example. It turned out to be a great OS in the end. Initially yes, it had its quirks, but it got blown majorly out of proportion.
    Motus MB300(Backflip)_2.1 Preclair Beta1 by j_r0dd

Sounds promising. Anyone else willing to weigh in??

Ok so here is what I think. I have viewed tons of videos on the captivate vs ...... I have yet to see any of them saying that the captivate is a POS. I love my captivate. I swapped from having an iphone and the iphone was falling apart when I got close to the two year date. I dont think that will ever happen to the captivate. Reasons why:

1. There is a tiny lip around the edge of the screen making it to where you could slide it on its face and it wouldnt touch the glass to the surface.

2. It is made of durable hard plastic on the bottom, top, and sides. If you were to drop your phone you would be greatful that it was tough plastic and not metal. Plus this takes away from the weight. It is a very light phone but is very sturdy.

3. The way the battery cover is designed, you couldnt drop the phone and have the battery pop out.

4. The back is metal and the only downfall is that you could scratch the back in your pocket with keys or coins.

I think that the captivate was well worth my money after I got it running froyo. And also got it rooted again. The only problems I have with the phone arent with the phone but the carrier. Thank god for people at xda-developers.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by micah View Post
    4. The back is metal and the only downfall is that you could scratch the back in your pocket with keys or coins.
    It's shiny plastic. Not metal. Thump it and listen for a metal sound if you don't believe me.

I'm on my 4th captivate. Last two were refurbs. The captivate has been out since mid-July and AT&T already has a large supply of refurbished units. That speaks volumes about the quality in and of itself. I admit, in theory, this phone is a badass powerhouse. Unfortunately, in the real world, Samsung just can't put it together correctly.

the battery cover is metal, and it seems to be powder-coated instead of painted, which makes it more durable. I'm not positive what kind of metal, but my guess is aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie5000 View Post
    It's shiny plastic. Not metal. Thump it and listen for a metal sound if you don't believe me.

I'm on my 4th captivate. Last two were refurbs. The captivate has been out since mid-July and AT&T already has a large supply of refurbished units. That speaks volumes about the quality in and of itself. I admit, in theory, this phone is a badass powerhouse. Unfortunately, in the real world, Samsung just can't put it together correctly.
    So Johnnie5000, what is breaking on the phone? is it buttons, screen? I know some of Samsung's other models had issues with sudden shut downs; software issues.
    Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links