eWeek's top 10 reasons Android can't touch iOS

This is a discussion on eWeek's top 10 reasons Android can't touch iOS within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; The internet loves lists. Lists about the top 10 this, pro's vs con's, etc. When a topic is hot, this type of discussion seems to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eWeek's top 10 reasons Android can't touch iOS

Admin

eWeek's top 10 reasons Android can't touch iOS

The internet loves lists. Lists about the top 10 this, pro's vs con's, etc. When a topic is hot, this type of discussion seems to happen near constantly. So it's no surprise that we've seen our fair share of iPhone vs Android lists. eWeek has decided to tackle the latest iteration of this list with a "top 10 reasons" why Froyo can't touch iOS 4. While we may not agree with the list sometimes it can be helpful to read it and at least learn from it and see what we might be able to do better in the Android world.

Some of their main points (such as the fact that Apple understands customers better) are a bit off in our opinion. Either way here are their top three reasons and you can follow the link below for the rest.

1. Google isnít so big on software - Googleís real plan with Android is to dominate the mobile advertising space. It fully realizes that the best way to achieve that goal is by doing whatever it can to capitalize on the desire for touch-screen smartphones with the help of Android. Thatís precisely why Google offers its operating system for free. But due to that focus on eventual mobile advertising dominance, Google falls short compared to Apple on software design.

2. Apple understands consumers - Apple understands what consumers want and how they will use a particular product. That comes through in all the products the company sells, including its iOS platform. Google, on the other hand, doesnít seem to understand consumers as well as it could. Itís certainly doing a better job than most companies, but it still has a long way to go to match Apple. In fact, Googleís consumer understanding seems to be more Microsoft-like than Apple-like. And that could be a problem -- especially for its operating systemógoing forward.

3. Multitasking - Multitasking on iOS is a key reason why Apple has enjoyed such success in the mobile market as of late. For years, consumers were hoping for true multitasking. But for years, the company made no promises. But in iOS 4, multitasking is running on the iPhone. Because of that, Google has a long way to go to match anything Apple is currently offering.

(Source: eWeek.com)

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

This has got to be one of the worst lists I have ever seen. Most of the the points are false, or weak at best. Take number 3 for example. If iOS has never had multitasking prior to iOS4, how could that be a reason "Apple has enjoyed such success in the mobile market as of late". Article looks like one big /facepalm to me.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Admin
    I agree, the list is crazy. Sounds like someone blinded by Apple Fanboisim.

If you agree then why is this still up here? Take this crap down!

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    A key reason that Android at it's BASE is free is not because Google wants to capitalize on it, but rather it's a GPL licensed piece of software. By law it's core has to be published freely.

Google understands just fine in my opinion, but Apple does have a knack for UI design and customer satisfaction. While Android may not be as clean cut and polished as iOS, it will get there soon enough. Gingerbread is bringing a UI overhaul. iOS better be prepared because it doesn't just have to live up to Android now, but Android, WP7, and MeeGo. WP7 has some very interesting UI features that I would really like to see industry wide, in their own respective implementations of course.

And the whole multitasking thing... Yea... Android's had that for quite sometime now, with WebOS kickin everyone's ass in that respect. While Apple's implementation works great, it's still not as functional or flat out as impressive as it is on Android or WebOS. But where Android and WebOS have REAL multitasking, iOS delivers battery life. So it's a win/lose thing. I'm still interested to see how Microsoft will tackle multitasking in WP7 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    A key reason that Android at it's BASE is free is not because Google wants to capitalize on it, but rather it's a GPL licensed piece of software. By law it's core has to be published freely.

Google understands just fine in my opinion, but Apple does have a knack for UI design and customer satisfaction. While Android may not be as clean cut and polished as iOS, it will get there soon enough. Gingerbread is bringing a UI overhaul. iOS better be prepared because it doesn't just have to live up to Android now, but Android, WP7, and MeeGo. WP7 has some very interesting UI features that I would really like to see industry wide, in their own respective implementations of course.

And the whole multitasking thing... Yea... Android's had that for quite sometime now, with WebOS kickin everyone's ass in that respect. While Apple's implementation works great, it's still not as functional or flat out as impressive as it is on Android or WebOS. But where Android and WebOS have REAL multitasking, iOS delivers battery life. So it's a win/lose thing. I'm still interested to see how Microsoft will tackle multitasking in WP7 though.
    I believe I saw that either it doesn't do multitasking or it is similar to the iOS design. Don't quote me on it though.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    I believe I saw that either it doesn't do multitasking or it is similar to the iOS design. Don't quote me on it though.
    Which one? Android, WebOS, or WP7?

WP7. According to this article WP7 doesn't support 3rd party multitasking.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    WP7. According to this article WP7 doesn't support 3rd party multitasking.
    True. That's not a feature that's supposed to appear anytime soon either.

As an iPhone owner this article embarrasses me. However, I do prefere my Captivate to my iPhone.

With all the mis-information on the web, you would expect a technology new outlet to fact check their articles. In my usta-be-in-IT days I liked to read eWeek magazine but this article is a big steaming pile-o-poo.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links