What's in YOUR Smartphone?

This is a discussion on What's in YOUR Smartphone? within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Hi Dorian, Could you tell me how would a Galaxy i9003 perform compared to its predecessor i9000 ? Both are clocked at 1Ghz. But the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's in YOUR Smartphone?

How about a Galaxy S i9003

Hi Dorian,

Could you tell me how would a Galaxy i9003 perform compared to its predecessor i9000 ?

Both are clocked at 1Ghz. But the GPU is 530 on the i9003.

So, my question boils down to how good is the i9003 compred to the i9000 in terms of processing, game play, smoothness etc ..

Would really appreciate your point of view on :

CPU1 GHz ARM Cortex-A8 processor,
    PowerVR SGX540 GPU,
    Hummingbird chipset

VS

1GHz Cortex A8 CPU,
    PowerVR SGX530
    GPU, TI OMAP 3630 chipset

The above info is as per gsmarena website .. i hope its accurate !

Also, if you have other phones you want to compare with the i9003, please feel free and let me help decide as the price difference between the defy and the i9003 is about 35$ ( about 1500 Indian rupees )

Thanks again for your response.

Cheers !

KoRn

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    The i9003 is comparable to the Motorola Droid X, as it shares the same platform. Some others that share the TI OMAP 3630 are Droid 2, and the Palm Pre 2.

The OMAP 3630 is a reasonably capable SoC, but it's getting a tad bit dated with all the current phones and especially the phones that are making a debut in the next month or two. Game wise, the 3630 has the potential to hold it's own, because Samsung usually has very good graphics drivers... better than Motorola. The main thing between the Galaxy S and the Defy, is that the Galaxy S isn't locked at the bootloader level like the Defy is.

Go for the Samsung... it's more capable in the end, since it's not locked down like the Motorola, the community can build custom software and kernels for it.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

EXCELLENT WORK !!! thanks for knowledge sharing...
    can u pl clarify on the following points
    1) performance wise which is better.. Moto Defy or Galaxy S SL?
    2) they say Galaxy S SL is a degraded version of Galaxy S.. i know screen and processor has been changed but has it significantly affected the SL performances while playing games and in playing HD video?
    3) do you suggest to buy Galaxy S SL? is there any other better phones in this price range??

awaiting for ur response..

Hi Dorian,

Your post regarding CPU is extremely useful. Thank you very much for it.
    As I think you are well equipped with such knowledge, is it possible to have similar explanation on GPUs?
    In particular I was looking at some phones & found Broadcom GPU inside them. Please comment upon its ability & also,if possible, GPUs in general used these days.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz View Post
    EXCELLENT WORK !!! thanks for knowledge sharing...
    can u pl clarify on the following points
    1) performance wise which is better.. Moto Defy or Galaxy S SL?
    2) they say Galaxy S SL is a degraded version of Galaxy S.. i know screen and processor has been changed but has it significantly affected the SL performances while playing games and in playing HD video?
    3) do you suggest to buy Galaxy S SL? is there any other better phones in this price range??

awaiting for ur response..
    Performance wise, the Galaxy S SL is much faster... Much, much faster. The regular GT-i9000 has more than double the GPU power of the i9003 SL.
    Yes, gaming will take a pretty large hit, as will video playing. The normal Galaxy S will play pretty much any type of video you throw at it... be it high-profile HD video or regular AVI. The Galaxy SL will not play high-profile HD video, and the Defy is restricted to mp4/m4v videos unless you download an app from the Market.
    The Galaxy SL is decent enough... though which price range are you aiming for, specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Hi Dorian,

Your post regarding CPU is extremely useful. Thank you very much for it.
    As I think you are well equipped with such knowledge, is it possible to have similar explanation on GPUs?
    In particular I was looking at some phones & found Broadcom GPU inside them. Please comment upon its ability & also,if possible, GPUs in general used these days.
    You're welcome...

About the current mobile GPU's

You have three main companies right now, and those are:
    PowerVR - The SGX530 in the Droid/DroidX/Droid2/Droid2G/Samsung GT-i9003, The SGX535 in the iPhone 3Gs/4/iPad1, The SGX540 in Samsung's Hummingbird and TI's OMAP 44xx, and the SGX543MP2+ in Apple's iPad 2
    NVIDIA Tegra 2 - In the Motorola Atrix, LG Optimus 2x/G2x, Motorola Xoom, Acer Eee Tablet, Asus Transformer tablet... and several more tablets and handsets...
    Mali - This is an ARM base designed GPU that is currently being used by Samsung in their new Exynos dual-core SoC... featured in the Samsung Galaxy S II.

Basically the PowerVR GPU's and the Mali 400 in the GS2 are all based on a unified shader model, similar to what you find in today's desktop/laptop graphics cards. NVIDIA, on the other hand, uses a past architecture for their GPU. NVIDIA's Tegra 2 has 8 shader processors, with half being vertex shaders and half being pixel shaders, with a separate hardware unit for transform and lighting. Tegra 2's architecture is most similar to the desktop GeForce 5 series.

Broadcom has a GPU inside the Nokia N8, if I'm not mistaken... but Broadcom isn't particularly well known for their GPU's. They're known for connectivity solutions like Bluetooth IC's and WiFi modules.

Thank you

Hi Dorian,

After long hours of researching and discussing with you .. I finally got the i9003 as per your suggestion.

The phones quite awesome and the display is quite brilliant .. Am sure the AMOLED is way better but I personally was quite happy with the clarity and the quality fot he display. However I do have a few issues .. It freezes once in a while for a few seconds with a slight vibration in the body .. I see that happening quite often .. So, I have to wait for it to fix it self and then I kill the processes to eventually get it back to normal .. ( and no I am not overloading it with apps and I make sure it doesnt multi task too much .. by killing processes every now and then .. ) otherwise the phone is perfect and the battery life is quite decent until you put it on 3G. Any which ways it survives the day without a recharge which is very important for me.

Also, I am quite disappointed for the support for my handset. Doesnt look like they have sold a lot of these phones .. So, this phone is not mentioned in a lot of forums .. I dont see a dedicated blog/forum for this and I hate sticking with the stock phone .. I wanted to tweak it and see what it can do .. In case you have information on forums for this phone or any tweaks and mods availble please be kind enough to help me / direct me there.

Again .. thanks a lot for your support and direction. It is a lot better than the defy in terms of power and display .. am quite happy with the phone so far .. except for what've mentioned above ..

Cheers !

KoRn

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Sure, the Galaxy SL i9003 has an Android development forum here.... Galaxy S I9003 Android Development - xda-developers

That's probably the best place to find information and software for that model of Galaxy S. And I'm glad you're happy, for the most part, with your purchase!

samsung galaxy ace or motorola defy

Hey Dorian I m a bit confused between galaxy ace and motorola defy Ace: qualcomm ms 7227 clocked at 800MHz with Adreno 200 GPU Defy: TI OMAP3610 also clocked at 800MHz Does defy have dedicated gpu??? which one will give better performance?? which one is better for gaming and browsing?? Elaborate as much as possible ...

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by rahul View Post
    Hey Dorian I m a bit confused between galaxy ace and motorola defy Ace: qualcomm ms 7227 clocked at 800MHz with Adreno 200 GPU Defy: TI OMAP3610 also clocked at 800MHz Does defy have dedicated gpu??? which one will give better performance?? which one is better for gaming and browsing?? Elaborate as much as possible ...
    The Defy has a Cortex A8 CPU, while the Galaxy Ace has an ARM11 CPU. The Cortex A8 CPU is about 2 years newer of a design, and is MUCH more powerful than any ARM11. The Defy also has a dedicated GPU, yes... it's a PowerVR SGX530. The Defy can also run flash content with Android 2.2+ while the Galaxy Ace cannot. Flash requires a Cortex A8 CPU or better to run at all...

The Defy will also be much better at games, because of the better CPU/GPU combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    The Defy has a Cortex A8 CPU, while the Galaxy Ace has an ARM11 CPU. The Cortex A8 CPU is about 2 years newer of a design, and is MUCH more powerful than any ARM11. The Defy also has a dedicated GPU, yes... it's a PowerVR SGX530. The Defy can also run flash content with Android 2.2+ while the Galaxy Ace cannot. Flash requires a Cortex A8 CPU or better to run at all... The Defy will also be much better at games, because of the better CPU/GPU combo.
    I read that samsung galaxy ace has better camera and battery than motorola defy. Is it true?? Both are of almost same price, so which one is better to buy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links