What Should I Do?

This is a discussion on What Should I Do? within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I absolutely hate my Backflip. It is very slow, and cannot even play a game such as Angry Birds without lagging. Anyways, I was thinking ...

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: What Should I Do?

  1. #1
    Member apwhitelaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    69

    What Should I Do?

    I absolutely hate my Backflip. It is very slow, and cannot even play a game such as Angry Birds without lagging.

    Anyways, I was thinking about getting the Samsung Captivate after Christmas. Looks very nice and fast.

    But after reading around, I hear that there will be things such as dual core smartphones in 2011, which sounds awesome.

    So, should I go ahead and get the Captivate after Christmas, or should I wait for something else to come out?

  2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

  3. #2
    Super Moderator Dorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    between 850-1900MHz
    Posts
    885
    Thanked
    71 times
    Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Well, the Motorola Olympus is going to be launched sometime at the beginning of 2011, and it's a dual core Nvidia Tegra2 handset. It will likely be at least $199 on a contract. But there are others also, with Qualcomm's dual-core Snapdragon making an appearance sometime in 2011, along with TI's OMAP 4 dual-core, and Samsung's Orion dual-core.

    No doubt 2011 is going to be a phenominal year for high-end Android handsets, but the Captivate will most certainly be able to hold it's own even around those monsters. The Captivate's GPU (SGX540) is currently the most powerful in a production model phone, and technically won't even be bested by Nvidia's GPU. Also, I'm pretty sure that none of those will come with 16GB of internal NAND like the Captivate. All in all, I'd say the Captivate is a great choice.

  4. #3
    Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    563
    deleted by author

  5. #4
    Member apwhitelaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Well, the Motorola Olympus is going to be launched sometime at the beginning of 2011, and it's a dual core Nvidia Tegra2 handset. It will likely be at least $199 on a contract. But there are others also, with Qualcomm's dual-core Snapdragon making an appearance sometime in 2011, along with TI's OMAP 4 dual-core, and Samsung's Orion dual-core.

    No doubt 2011 is going to be a phenominal year for high-end Android handsets, but the Captivate will most certainly be able to hold it's own even around those monsters. The Captivate's GPU (SGX540) is currently the most powerful in a production model phone, and technically won't even be bested by Nvidia's GPU. Also, I'm pretty sure that none of those will come with 16GB of internal NAND like the Captivate. All in all, I'd say the Captivate is a great choice.

    So the Captivate will hold up against others. Do you think will I be wishing I had a dual core?

    Also, I'll think twice before ever buying another Motorola. They put out a lot of lower/mid range phones and don't support them well. It irritates me. I'm not sure about their higher end phones.


    Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    Your backflip will run Angrybirds fine after your root it and install j-rodd's preclair ROM. My wife was using this setup before we got her captivate. Yes, the captivate is a very nice phone and vastly out performs the backflip.
    Actually, this is exactly what I have. It takes about 5 minutes to fully load up, then once I finally get through the menu and into the game, it lags the whole time. It's really not worth it.

  6. #5
    Super Moderator Dorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    between 850-1900MHz
    Posts
    885
    Thanked
    71 times
    Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by apwhitelaw View Post
    So the Captivate will hold up against others. Do you think will I be wishing I had a dual core?

    Also, I'll think twice before ever buying another Motorola. They put out a lot of lower/mid range phones and don't support them well. It irritates me. I'm not sure about their higher end phones.
    I don't even think the people buying the dual core phones will see that big of a performance jump because as it stands, Android's software just isn't multi-thread optimized. Most all software for the Android platform is single thread optimized.

    Also, from Gingerbread onward, GPU enhancements are going to be the main sellers, because Honeycomb will almost certainly be using the GPU to draw the User Interface. The Galaxy S phones like the Captivate have a VERY capable GPU that will perform at least on par with all the upcoming GPU's that are paired with the dual core CPU's. That, and the Hummingbird's CPU is no slouch either, makes for a pretty potent combination.

    Unless you'll be using 1080p HDMI out from your phone or are going to be wanting to record 1080p videos, the Captivate should work just fine.

  7. #6
    Member apwhitelaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    I don't even think the people buying the dual core phones will see that big of a performance jump because as it stands, Android's software just isn't multi-thread optimized. Most all software for the Android platform is single thread optimized.

    Also, from Gingerbread onward, GPU enhancements are going to be the main sellers, because Honeycomb will almost certainly be using the GPU to draw the User Interface. The Galaxy S phones like the Captivate have a VERY capable GPU that will perform at least on par with all the upcoming GPU's that are paired with the dual core CPU's. That, and the Hummingbird's CPU is no slouch either, makes for a pretty potent combination.

    Unless you'll be using 1080p HDMI out from your phone or are going to be wanting to record 1080p videos, the Captivate should work just fine.
    Yeah, I don't really need the 1080p. I'm getting a 1080p camcorder for Christmas, so if I ever need to take video with my phone, 720p will be fine.

    I'll probably go ahead and get the Captivate when I can.

    Thanks.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Android Forum