I have to hand it to AT&T, they have managed to polish stupid.

This is a discussion on I have to hand it to AT&T, they have managed to polish stupid. within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Yesterday I went to my local AT&T corporate store to preorder the Atrix. After spending an hour plus with the sales rep, I had selected ...

Thread: I have to hand it to AT&T, they have managed to polish stupid.

WERA689

I have to hand it to AT&T, they have managed to polish stupid.

Yesterday I went to my local AT&T corporate store to preorder the Atrix. After spending an hour plus with the sales rep, I had selected my plan, added data, and selected a number for my second line.

Then it came time to pay for the phone. I do not carry credit cards...so I presented my debit card. They refused to accept it! They wouldn't even let me swipe it! I offered to get cash. The refused to accept CASH!!!!!!!!!

After going back and forth with the store manager for some time, I called CS from their in store phone. They were unable to resolve the matter either, and after escalating the issue 3 times, promised me a phone call today.

I have received that call, and was told that the store manager was within his rights to refuse any method of payment other than credit card! The promised to try to seek another resolution...but that was 3 hours ago now. I am now beyond livid, past irate, and well into "ready to quit ATT after being a customer since 1996 without ANY issues"!

How can a company who SELLS SERVICES refuse to accept two extremely common methods of payment? I can pay my bill with either, I can buy accessories with either, but I apparently cannot order a second line and a new device with anything but a credit card! :confused::confused:

This goes FAR beyond stupid...in fact it dives deep into the realm of inexplicable! My frustration is growing exponentially, and my anger getting harder and harder to control.

Is there ANYONE who can explain this stupidity? Does ANYONE see any sense in this?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Wow. I don't have any issues with using my debit card, but cash has been pretty much taken out of the retail stores. Stupid IMO. Did you tell them to use it as a credit card? They don't run mine as debit, but credit.

I agree though... It's beyond stupid.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

WERA689
    Yeah, Dorian. I tried to get them to run it as a credit card, and they refused that too. The wouldn't even allow me to swipe the card through the reader terminal!

As for cash, while I was trying to resolve this, the sales girl I had been working with closed out her terminal at the end of her shift, and she pulled several hundred dollars in cash from her drawer! Including at least two Hundred dollar bills. So it's not like they don't accept cash, either.

Even more insulting is that they had no problem with letting me buy an Otterbox case for the Atrix using that very same debit card! For some inexplicable reason, that was acceptable.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Hmm... that's where you give them an ultimatum. I would have said that if I can't buy the phone with the card of cash I have on hand then I'm canceling service altogether. Every time I've hit a snag with the crazy sales people that has always worked.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Did you hear about the little old lady that was refused an ipad at release cause she wanted to pay cash she saved from disability . It was apple store in Palo Alto, CA. The only reason it made news cause she was an old lady and the concept of not using cash as payment is ridiculous and was apparently in their right, even though it's legal tender. Side note, cause of the story a follow up happened and apple gave her a free ipad.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
    Samsung Galaxy SGS2 I777 4.0.3 UCLD4

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 CM9

Samsung Galaxy S Captivate 2.3.5 KK4

WERA689
    I just got off the phone with the Cancellations department. The rep I spoke with was just as confounded as I was about this extent of this issue. On my behalf, he called the managers of 3 local ATT stores, including the one I visited yesterday. The store I visited told him they were not accepting preorders for the Atrix!!!

The next store he called told him that they wouldn't accept a debit card either. The third store's manager had the rep coming back on the line to tell me that this guy was quite rude, and wouldn't even talk about the issue. "I'm beginning to get a feel for what you've been faced with" is what he told me.

Then, he spoke to his manager, who also refused to intervene. At this point, he called his manager's boss, and was told that he would need to escalate this trough channels to seek a resolution! When I told him that this had already been begun, his frustration was as evident as mine is.

At this point, the matter of the preorder is STILL not resolved, and I'm on the brink of canceling a 15 year old account. The rep did comp me a couple of things for the trouble I've been through, assuming that I remain an AT&T customer. He also promised to maintain contact with me personally until a conclusion is reached.

I pointed out this forum to him, and provided my screen name here for his reference. We'll see if he takes a look.

That's all I've got right now. 28 hours have passed since I began this journey, and I'm still nowhere.

They want to have your credit card. It could be some how related to the procedure, that they need your credit card to open an AT&T account (contract). So you can buy the accessories with cash, but not the phone that connected to the contract. Just a guess.

He already has service with ATT though. And this is riduculous. I can't see how they have a right to deny cash. It is the official legal tender of the country. Whether they want to refuse credit or debit is one thing, but I can't understand how businesses can choose to accept cash.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

WERA689
    Yep, jmgib, I've been with AT&T for 15 years now...

The latest I've been told is that some customers place preorders, and don't have the funds free to cover them. So they get upset when a hold is placed on those funds for the preorder. If this is the reasoning for ATT's "policy", they are letting deadbeats decide how they treat their paying customers...again WRONG.

That seems ridiculous of them to do that, even more so because there is no valid explanation

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links